1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audigy to amp

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by CraigSmith, May 18, 2003.

1. CraigSmith

CraigSmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will the optical out on an audigy card supply dolby digital / dts to a surround amp? Also would it be possiblr to connect it up so i can listed to games in 3d sound from my PC to amp?

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The "standard" Audigy/Audigy2 just output SPDIF via co-axial :confused:

I assume you're using a "Platinum" version with the fancy front bay thingy-magig :)

Yep, should output DTS/DD 5.1 to a receiver - just make sure "SPDIF" passthrough without decoding are selected in your software DVD player & Soundblaster Audio HQ.

PC games - best you can hope for via SPDIF is a PCM stream with receiver outputting PL2/DTS Neo etc...

:smoke:

3. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Im not sure about this but the way I understand it is that with a standard Audigy you can get a digital output with dvds with the SPDIF (using a 3.5mm to phono cable). With games you can use the three analogue outputs (front left and right, rear left and right and centre and sub) you can then use three of the 3.5mm to phono cables to get surround sound as the game intended. An audigy atleast cant output digital 5.1 for games only the NForce2 sound chipset can do that as far as I know. If im completely wide of the mark let me know!

4. darth_sidious

darth_sidious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the SB live! 5.1 sound card and am also wanting to connect my pc to my amp due to the massive amount of noise from the analogue interconnects from all the fans in my PC. i tried to get some help in dixons but they were useless.... stupid idea really...

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darth, I connected my Sound Blaster Live Digital I/O to a AV amp. The voltage out from the Creative I/O card SPDIF exceeds the SPDIF spec. So it blew up the AV Amp & Soundcard. Nice.

It outputs 6V out....don't bother connect it up.:nono:

6. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Any ideas if that 6v output will have changed with the audigy? Thanks for the warning though (even if it wasnt to me!).

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have used co-ax SPDIF out to various receivers from both Audigy & Audigy 2 (& Soundblaster Live) - no problems whatsoever.

:)

8. CraigSmith

CraigSmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont have the platinum version (would be nice though) i have a standard OEM version, so no soun EQ either :( any idea where i can get this? I had a look and all i could fins was onw for the SB Live! which didnt work. I also got the Matrir Reloaded today (its amazing) and it says it has dolby digital however im at a loss as to how this works. Any ideas?

Thanks

Craig

(sorry for all the questions im a total begginer with home theatre systems)