• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Audigy 2 ZS to AV Receiver problem

Heebson

Standard Member
Hi,
I connected the above kit from the Audigy spdif out using a stereo-jack-to-RCA cable and into the receiver (left/right channels for MD/Aux in).

However, when playing iTunes, I'm getting very low volume and heaps of background noise.

The desktop speakers were still plugged into the Audigy card, but had changed settings to Digital out only.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Heeb.

bigfatsi

Standard Member
Don't know which amp you've got but I'll assume it's an av amp/receiver.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but spdif is the digitial connection and the twin phono's is analogue. Seems you're mixing 'em up. You can either use the analogues as you are doing now but make sure it's not set to ouput digitally (spdif) This method will only provide you with two channels (per connection) ie Front Left and Front Right aka stereo. Another option is to output a digital signal via spdif to your amp. This requires a 3.5mm to phono connection such as this one from maplins :
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=34197&criteria=3.5 phono minijack&doy=31m7
and a cable to the digital in on your amp (In this case it would be the coax one not the optical)

In your present setup the soundcard is decoding the signal and the amp is merely amplifying it. In the alternative scenario the amp is doing the decoding and amplification. If you don't have Dolby Digital decoding facilities in your pc (check your dvd playback software for example) then the digital playback option is best as it allows you to experience DD, DTS etc etc however if you are likely to listen to DVDA (Audio) discs then you will need to connect in your present way with one set of leads for each pair of connection - Front L+R, Rear L+R, Centre and Sub with the spdif setting unchecked. Again this assuming you have 6 channel anolgue inputs.

Hope this helps and I haven't confused you further!

Simon

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom