1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audigy 2 ZS S/PDIF Output pins

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DaveP, Mar 3, 2005.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To cut a long story short I've got an Asus S/PDIF optical and co-axial output connector for an Asus mobo. I've also just bought an Audigy 2 ZS.

Now the thing is that I only have an optical input available on the receiver and, of course, the Audigy only outputs co-ax "out of the box".

So the question is: can I connect the Asus device to the Audigy?

The Asus board has a three pin connector and and is suppled with the appropriate connector cable.

The pins are labeled +5v, spdif out and Ground. Does anyone know what the pin-outs are on the SPDIF_IO connector are on the Audigy?

Thanks

Dave

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well for anyone who is interested here's where I've got to:

My Audigy arrived yesterday and I found a site that listed all the pin outs. I installed the card and I can't get any more than 2 chanels to work but the good news is that the Asus adapter works fine when connected up to the appropriate pins.

As these can be bought for a quid on ebay it offers a cheap way to get optical out of your card.

If I ever get 7.1 working on the Co-ax I'll let you know if the Asus works too!

Dave

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    I am having the same problem I have a coax connected via a mini jack adaptor (only 2 pole/mono) and I am only getting 2 channel sound. In the knowledge base on creatives web site it recommends to use a 4 pole mini jack adapter. I wil try this and report. It seems so silly that creative havent made it easy to connect to an amp in 5.1 digital. Has anyone connected their Audidgy 2 zs to a reciever using a coax?
    (I can sometimes get dolby prologic but not on all the time)

Its driving me mad. Help would be appreciated.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also just been searching through their knowledge base, but obviously a different part, as it said that it didn't matter which mini jack you used (stereo or mono) as the signal only passed through the tip. Besides, I get the same problem through my home made optical link! (true, it is unproven at the moment but my old sb Live! will be going back in tonight and I'll test it on that too)

Dave

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got the following reply from Creative:

I'm not convinced! I played a DTS and a DD5.1 movie with the configuration as they suggest and just got Pro Logic IIx. I'll have another go tonight

Dave

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well how can I put this?

I did as they suggested and it works now when I play a DTS movie.

TBH I did do two changes at once: I had already deleted the device from Device Manager and then let it re-install itself when I re-booted. And I'm sure that I had initially had the pass through set on and had only removed it in desperation when everything else I'd tried had failed to work.

Some more good news came out of this. I swapped over to the Asus optical output and that works fine now too :clap: Whilst messing about with the cables I managed to disconnect the +5v wire from the board and lo and behold the optical signal carried on working!

So you only need a two wire connection - I'm using an old CD digital wire that I used to use to connect my CD drive digitally to my original SB16 card (remember them?)

This is the Asus converter here

As you can see, it also gives a proper co-ax connection too.

If anyone else wants to try this the pins to connect (on the Audigy) are pins 7 (Ground) and 9 (S/PDIF out). That's on the cluster of pins marked "SPDIF_IO"

Dave

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Thanks for the info. I could only get prologic on a limited number of divx films. This has now been solved but I am still only getting prologic and not 5.1

I have enabled the spdif in audio hq/device controls/decoder. I then enabled the CMSS option in EAX console.

I am using a mono minijack to phono connector with a good quality coax lead straight into my receiver (sony db930)

The thx console has 5.1 and 48khz, when doing the channel test sound only comes out of the front three speakers with the rear channels coming out of the front left/right. :(

8. PLASMATU

PLASMATU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    here i have got an Audigy 4 with the optical out i jst can get Dolby Digital anyidea ? When i use DTS my ampli mutes....(means 0 sound ) m not the only one havin this issue thanks to anybody that can help me to fix that.

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Are you decoding sound on your pc or passing through to your amp?

Check in your AC3 filter.