Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Audigy 2 ZS better sound than from a DVD player?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by cliocarl, Aug 29, 2004.

1. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thinking of using my PC as a HCPC.

Will the sound card above produce as good quality when linked with a Amp and floorstanders, compared with a DVD player and Receiver say for example the £250 mark Cambridge Audio DVD and A/V Receiver?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IMHO you'll not hear any difference between the PC and the DVD player, using either analog or digital into an amp of that price range.

I'm not sure why you say "amp and floorstanders" for the PC and "receiver" for the DVD player, you seem to be suggesting different amp/speaker setups depending on sound source, I don't see the source as being relevent to choosing the amp system.

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    For what it's worth I had an Audigy 2ZS which I found to be noticeably less detailed than my Arcam FMJ-DV27 DVD player. I have to say that the PC picture quality was definitely better on my projector though, so I went the HTPC route and haven't looked back.

Another test I did was to A:B test the Audigy against the SP/DIF out on my Asus AVN8X-Deluxe motherboard. I found the Mobo sound to be indistinguishable from the Audigy. The Audigy does however offer DVD-A audio (if the analogue outs are used) but as I currently used the SP/Dif this option wasn't available to me. I removed the Audigy, stuck with Mobo SP/Dif and am very happy with the overall performance.

Summary of my experience:-
    FMJ27 Better Sound
    HTPC Better Upscaled Picture

Although I did go the PC route the DV-27 has made me aware that not all SP/DIF outs are entirely equal. I'm not sure why that should be as my Lexicon processor is doing the same job whichever source is used. An RME soundcard is on my wish list.

Hope this helps,

Mark.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Agree about mobo sound, my experience with 2 nForce2-based systems is the same as yours where SPD/IF is concerned .. as for the DVD vs. PC issue, the Arkam is somewhat more sophisticated than the Cambridge Audio I'd have thought.

5. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    ...and then people start talking about jitter on digital connections which is probably why the digital out isn't as good.

are you talking about for DD and DTS sound quality ? a few people have commented on shielding the sound cards etc making a difference.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Which of course presumes the listener knows and can recognise what jitter is in the first place .. I see much talk about it but rarely any description of how it's supposed to be perceived.

:)

7. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    For my novice ears, the nForce 2 optical out is just fine. Have never thought it is any worse than my dvd player (old-ish Sony 725).

8. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I was using an external USB Sound Blaster (the little box with the blue flashing light) for my HCPC (to save using PCI slots). That was using optical to amp.

Recently though I've run out of optical inputs on the amp, so moved to the co-ax SP/DIF out on my motherboard (horrid MicroATX AOpen thing, I had to trawl the globe for an "optional extra" header to allow SP/DIF. Eventually I found one 10 miles from home, but that's another story).

My first impression is that the sound isn't as good. But there isn't much in it, and I suspect if I did some proper A/B comparisons I wouldn't notice :)

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,029
    AndyH i also noticed that with optical and coaxial, infact it was the first thing i noticed about my HCPC.

My dvd player, pio 757, was connected to my amp via coaxial but my HCPC is only optical so i connected this to my amp via optical and i noticed that the sound just sounded a lot 'cleaner' compared to my dvd player via coaxial.

If i get chance i might do some side by side comparisons with my dvd player optical v hcpc optical.

10. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    My DVD player is Pio 646 and that's been co-ax connected for yonks.

Amp in my case is the Pio Ax5i.

Will be interested to hear about your further investigations!

11. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for those comments guys.

I have decided for budget reasons to upgrade to a Audigy 2 ZS and to buy a computer set of surround speakers.

This as I say on the speaker side is for budget reasons I believe the soundcard to be very good.

As my projector purchace is priority then sound can lack for a bit longer

12. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I don't know what other people think about this theory, but I borrowed a projector one night, hung a sheet from the ceiling etc etc.

And while obviously the picture was pants (I was just playing with the idea of such a large image in a smallish room), I was surprised to find that subjectively the sound was better.

I think it was part "psycho-acoustic" due to the front speakers being behind the screen (a'la real cinema), and possibly partly due to the sheet changing the nasty twangy refelection noises we tend to get in our living room. :)

Just thought I'd float that out there, i.e. you prioritising projector over sound. A bigger more impressive image can help artificially boost the audio!

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I think as a few others have said,that at that price level,you probably won't notice much if any difference.
    Once you begin to go up the range though,the sound card quality can make an enormous difference,and some of the true top end digital cards are superb,with things like the Lynx2 being equal to many high end DACs.

Even in the lower ranges,a decent card allied with a good external DAC can produce very good results,and a search here for posts by Branxx may be useful,as he's posted a fair bit on PC sound card quality,and had several useful things to say.

14. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,029
    I managed to compare the sound from the optical out from my motherboard to the sound from the optical out on my dvd player and i didnt notice any difference between the two.