1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audigy 2 Problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by HMHB, Dec 15, 2002.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Whenever I try to run the Creative Diagnostics it just freezes the system and I have to press reset. Other creative software also does the same (test speaker setup, enable remote control and a few other utilities).
    Has anyone else had a problem with Audigy 2 Platinum ? Did you use the drivers that came with the card ?
    If anyone can help please feel free to comment as it's doing my head in. Why is it that nothing that I buy ever works !

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Have you fully uninstalled your previous soundcard before fitting the audigy 2 ???

Does your motherboard have built in sound? and if so have you disabled it/uninstalled the drivers.

Look in control panel/system/hardware/devices/sound and game deivces and make sure only the audigy is there.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    I've disabled the onboard sound - it has never been enabled as it is a brand new motherboard also. It's a fresh install of XP Pro so no other drivers have been installed.
    The only stuff that shows up in the control panel is the Audigy stuff.
    At 1st I wondered if it was my Radeon 9000 graphics card messing things up - but it freezes even when I use a different graphics card (Geforce 2 GTS).
    I've flashed the bios with the latest available (Abit SR7-8X motherboard) and have loaded the 2 patches from the creative USA support site so am really lost what to try now.
    I may take it to work tomorrow to see if it works properly in my work computer - that will rule out problems with my motherboard. Other than that - I have no idea !

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Newsflash !!!!!!!!!!!!

I disconnected the Audigy 2 Drive (the bit that goes into a 5 1/4 bay) and guess what - nothing freezes any more.
    I think I may have a dodgy component

5. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Glad to hear your getting somewhere.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Not sure what to think now - the sound card works fine in my computer at work. This also has an Abit motherboard, but a different model. God I hate computers
    Not sure if there is some incompatibility between my motherboard (Abit SR7-8X) and this Audigy 2 Platinum card

7. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmm... bizarrely enough, alot of seemingly "random" problems with the Audigy/2 occur because the (white) ATX power connector is not making a proper connection with the mobo header. Unusually, they need use of both the -12V and -5V rails and they are the first to lose contact if the aforementioned header is loose. It needs to be well-seated and "clicked" firmly into position. Both myself and a neighbour had similar problems to yours with the original Audigy (I now have the Audigy 2 and am very happy with it). After days of tearing my hair out I posted on the European Creative Support Forum and somebody posted the solution in about 5 minutes! :)

Having said that, I can't remember it working if I disconnected the Drive, although its hard to say now since it was a long time ago. :confused:

MuFu.

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Thanks for that info MuFu - I'll check that out tonight when I get home. Do you know if there's any way of checking that the MOBO connections are picking up the power correctly ? Ot it could be that the PSU is not supplying the correct voltage ? I wonder if there is some software out there to test this ?

At least I have something else to check out now - as last night I was so frustrated that I ended up smashing a keyboard to bits - very satisfying I can recommend this to anyone feeling frustrated by hardware :mad:

9. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Erm.. well with mine it was really obvious - I just had to apply a bit of pressure and it "clicked" into place properly. Probably best to pull the PSU connector out completely and re-seat it. The guy from Creative said the problem eludes many people because very few peripherals make use of the -5V and -12V rails so it can go undetected for ages. I also had another PC (my HTPC) in which the card worked fine.

The only thing is that as well as the freezes whenever running a Creative app, I also had almost no sound whatsoever - just a faint noise.

I hope you get it sorted anyway. I guess it could be some kind of mobo/soundcard incompatibility if you eliminate all the other possibilities.

MuFu.

P.S. You have connected the drive's power feed up, right? :D

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    I've finally got it working by changing the setting in hardware device manager from "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" to "standard PC". on the next bootup XP redected all the hardware and then all was OK with the soundcard.
    This might not be a long-term solution as it takes quite a lot longer to boot up on this setting and also does not shut down automatically - it just has the "ok to switch off computer" screen.
    If anyone knows a way around this I'd be grateful.
    Is it possible to set the hardware to ACPI and then manually alter the IRQs in the device manager ?

11. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmm... no, probably not; AIBs are usually resource-locked to a corresponding PCI I/O address.

Try enabling ACPI and physically re-installing the A2 in a different PCI slot (if you have one spare). ACPI can be a real bitch - I'm glad you are getting somewhere though.

MuFu.

12. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    P.S. Actually, you may be able to change the resource allocation if there is a conflicting/shared IRQ. It's probably worth enabling ACPI and going through Device Manager first anyway just to see what you can do without having to move the card.