1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audigy 2 EX platinum output probs

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by alextgreen, Mar 15, 2004.

1. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Outputting via Coaxial SPDIF to my Marantz SR4200 - but the creative software cannot output to the centre or rear channels. Fronts are fine.

Card is set to output via SPDIF and not do any decoding itself.

Amplifier flags Dolby Digital instantly if I play a DVD or any other digital surround source.

Why can't the soundcard give me 6 channels on its own, am I missing a setting?

2. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    on its own?

as in "in windows"? they can't do it mate. There isnt anything that can upmix into 5.1DD except the nvidia soundstorm ( i love my soundstorm:) )

They only time you'll get DD suround thru the digital connection is when you watch DD material, as you have discovered. If you want surround in games ect, you'll have to use an analogue 5.1 connection to your amp's 5.1 analogue input.

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Start AudioHQ

In the Creative/Audigy Menu.....Select "Creative AudioHQ" then "Device Controls" and change the "Digital Output Sampling Rate to 48KHZ.

I seem to recall that the Audigy 2 EX cards can't handle the throughput at 95KHz via SP/DIF.

Hope this helps, I actually took mine out my HTPC as I couldn't tell any difference between it and the Motherboard SP/DIF. I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear whilst installing your new purchase.

DVD-Audio will only output via the analogue outs too I'm afraid.

Good luck,

Mark.

4. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I had a feeling that was the case - I'm torn between going back to my soundstorm (which sounds crap but has nice features) - or the EX, which sounds great and has a million and 3 useless features and horrible software.

I got it at a very good price, so could probably recoup in the classifieds.

If only soundstorm didn't sound so ****** horrible.

5. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    horrible? how so? personally i think it sounds very good indeed, though i will be honest the analogue output on my board stinks.

6. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Side by side test, same cable, same tracks against the Audigy, the sound is grating, harsh, thrashy and uncontrolled. Audigy clean, punching and imposing.

I have a feeling the southbridge on the A7N8X 2.0 deluxe overheats, I have a big heatsink properly fitted to mine and it is almost no better. I got the board brand new for free so I can't complain too much, but I bought the Audigy to try and fix this problem.

Audigy can go in the classifieds. Better get myself an Abit motherboard next time.

7. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    possibly overly hot, yeah. dont forget that the drivers you are using also heavily affect the sound quality.