Audible speaker hiss/humm

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by newrose, Sep 26, 2004.

1. newrose

newrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, i'm new to all this (my first post) so i hope someone will be kind enough to help.

I've just bought & set up a JVC TH-S3 home cinema system. My problem is when the unit is switched on there is an audible hiss/humm from all 5 speakers. I've placed the speakers as per manual with only the centre on top of the TV. Any ideas what's wrong. I have a jvc tv & video btw

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Newrose,

Is this with the volume turned down? or is it noticeable all the time?
    It could possibly be a mains problem but i am no expert :rolleyes:

John :)

3. newrose

newrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recruit

It’s all the time. As soon as the unit is switched on. You do have to get very close to the speakers to hear it. I've had a listen to the same model at the local Electrical store & it does the same??
    I'm pretty sure it’s not a mains problem as I had my Hi-Fi separates system plugged into the same socket as the new DVD & I had no trouble with it.
    Perhaps this is a characteristic with this model :confused: It don't sound right to me though.

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi newrose,

It does seem odd though, in that it is so noticeable, if i were you and you are clearly not happy with it take it back to where you bought it and try something else, or it will drive you mad :mad:

BTW: some speakers do make a slight hissing noise but not so much that it starts to annoy you

John :)

5. newrose

newrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi john

Thanks for the advice. Like I say you do have to get real close to hear it so hopefully it wont annoy me as such, however I know its 'there' I'll give it the coming week if it does get on my nerves I'll change it.

6. lplates

lplates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newrose - I have the same cinema system and find the same thing as you. The sound from this system is not very clean and there is a noticeable hiss when the power is on but nothing is playing. The hiss is also quite audible when playing disks.

Did you ever take any action about this?

Cheers,
    Dave

7. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If it is a hiss it could just be a problem with the poorness of the system. If it a hum it's likely to be a problem with a bad earth normally caused by the aerial earthing through the amp. Have you tried unplugging the aerial from everything, that is there must be no path from the aerial to the amp/speakers. Aerial cable can't be connected to TV which is then connected to amp etc - just unplug it completely for a test. If this solves the problem you can buy an earth for the aerial. Alternatively (and at your own risk) disconnect the mains earth connection for the amp so you only have the positive and neutral active.

8. aridehal

aridehal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same cinema system, and the same Hiss (not Hum). As you say, it is only generally only noticeable when you are close to the speaker (less than 30cm?).

More annoying for me is the noise the fan makes when it kicks in at volume greater than 30. I am just about to post a new thread on this issue