Audi TDIe Range

eob

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,
looking to replace my company CC in September and thought I had settled on the rather dull BMW 5 Series Efficient Dynamics until I spotted on comcar.co.uk that the A5 Sportback in S Line trime with the 177 TDIe engine is on a par with the 5 in the 17% tax bracket.
However, the lease deals on the A5 sportback are not very good and will probably price it out of my range. There are lots of good deals on the A5 Coupe, but unfortunatly it doesn't seem to come in the S Line/TDIe combo, even on the Audi.co.uk configurator.

Just wondering if anyone could answer why this might be? Seems strange to offer it in one body shape but not the other.
Cheers.

I would guess the tdie engine is aimed more at the business market, and business users more usually want 4 doors for taking clients out.
We don't dictate choice of car to employees, but we won't allow 2 doors.
We made an exception for a scirocco once, we won't do it again.
He was always having to borrow cars to collect clients etc

See, this is what I thought but the business contract hire deals on the Sportback are at least £150 - £200 more than the coupe.
Just seems strange.

I'm still at odds with the BMW 520d ED. I saw one yesterday in black. It's a nice looking car but there is just 'something' about it thats meh! I think it's maybe that the wheels are too small making the tyres look huge.
Trivial thing I know but its a decision that will be with me for 3 years.

Looks are subjective, I can see why some think the 5 series is a bit non-descript.
I just love it though, it's a wonderful car all round in my book.
And I still don't think Audi are anywhere near BMW for driving enjoyment/feedback.
Even my humble 320ED can be thrown around to great effect (outbraked a guy who thought he was fast in a Monaro last night, he must gave been mortified! :) )
I don't really want to go back to FWD if I can possibly avoid it.

Looks are subjective, I can see why some think the 5 series is a bit non-descript.
And I still don't think Audi are anywhere near BMW for driving enjoyment/feedback.
Even my humble 320ED can be thrown around to great effect (outbraked a guy who thought he was fast in a Monaro last night, he must gave been mortified! :) )

You have the 320ED?
Two guys at work recently got them and I was suprised by the spec inside. Seemed a bit odd.
i.e. They have bluetooth, reversing camera and sat nav but are missing items such as map and vanity lights and they both had (naff) cloth trim. There was a couple of other points which have slipped my mind but to me they seemed to be base models with a few late factory (or even dealer) added extras. They are both 2012 models.

Is your trim level equivelent to the SE?

eob said:
You have the 320ED?
Two guys at work recently got them and I was suprised by the spec inside. Seemed a bit odd.
i.e. They have bluetooth, reversing camera and sat nav but are missing items such as map and vanity lights and they both had (naff) cloth trim. There was a couple of other points which have slipped my mind but to me they seemed to be base models with a few late factory (or even dealer) added extras. They are both 2012 models.

Mine isn't the latest model.
Basic spec on mine was really basic, the seats in particular being bloody awful.
I spec'd mine to the hilt, there's very little left standard in it.

You have the 320ED?

Audi are the same now, you have to order "interior light packs" to get vanity mirror lights on most models, or storage packs/through load to get rear cup holders and lockable glove boxes etc.

We have a new 520d in our fleet and its looks are growing on me. Our one is in the matt white colour and it looks quite smart. I just drove past it an hour ago and front on it looks quite imposing.

Map reading lights are surely irrelevant, if your car has satnav...:)
Joking apart, I can't recall the last time I used map reading lights or vanity lights.
So if BMW/Audi want to give me another gadget instead of them, great! :)

You can have 120g & 170 bhp in any trim level on a A5 coupe ( non quattro ) Got to be one of the best £30 a year road tax cars !

How can you call a 5 series dull when talking about an Audi?

I take it you mean looks?

The A5 looks great, but in FWD guise is seriously dull to drive, at least the 5 series feels fairly focused.

There were some stonking deals on the E250 coupe, 205bhp 18% bracket and deals starting from £260 a month last month.

How can you call a 5 series dull when talking about an Audi?

I take it you mean looks?

The A5 looks great, but in FWD guise is seriously dull to drive, at least the 5 series feels fairly focused.

There were some stonking deals on the E250 coupe, 205bhp 18% bracket and deals starting from £260 a month last month.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big BMW fan, had an E39 530d Sport in Topaz blue for years and it is still by far the best car I've owned. But compared to that, the latest F10 is too similar to it's 3 series and 7 series siblings imho.
I've had a VW CC for the last three years and have really liked the styling. 99.9% of my driving is plodding up and down the motorway so driving dynamics really don't come into it.
Never really been a fan of Mercs.

Nor was I until I bought one. ;)

The coupe is not a bad looking car though....

mercedes-benz-e-class-coupe-2010.jpg

Okay, good looking car, I'll give you that. Like what's happening at the bottom of the 'C' pillar with the quarter light.

Slightly off topic, notice your avatar. Is the weimaraner as nutty as they say? We have two Vizslas which are supposed to be saner but are still bonkers!

Yeah, definitely as nutty as they say, he is our third rescue and they have all been bonkers.

Having said that, not sure if Vizlas are any better, a friend of ours went from Weimies to a Vizla and they were hoping it was going to be.....a little less work, but say he is pretty much the same, just as clingy and just as lively. ;)

Interesting thread... I know the posts here say about business leasing, but for anyone with experience of personal leasing - how did you do it ?

Did you go direct to dealers, or go via some other method ?

Okay, good looking car, I'll give you that. Like what's happening at the bottom of the 'C' pillar with the quarter light.

Slightly off topic, notice your avatar. Is the weimaraner as nutty as they say? We have two Vizslas which are supposed to be saner but are still bonkers!

Lovely looking car the A5 Coupe. I did have a look at one when we went to look at a TT. Preferred the look of the A5 to the TT, especially in white. However both TT and A5 were out, the TT having no real room in the boot and the A5 not having a complete rear door.

Don't think you'll get two Vizzies in the back of an A5. Our friend has four Vizslas and they are all as mad as hatters, lovely though.

That's why we eventually went for a Scirocco as it is far easier to get the Cocker in and out of the boot.:thumbsup:

GavTNewbie said:
Interesting thread... I know the posts here say about business leasing, but for anyone with experience of personal leasing - how did you do it ?

Did you go direct to dealers, or go via some other method ?

Assuming you mean personal leasing 'in general' and not specifically Audi, our current car (until next week) is a personal lease.
We did it via a company called 'Leden Motor Group'.
Very efficient and helpful.
Paid our three months up front to Leden, then collected the car direct from a Ford Dealer.
Then you just pay your monthly direct debit and keep the car insured, serviced and maintained.
Road tax is their problem, a new disc appears in the post every year.
Now that we're at the end of the lease, it's great that I don't have to sell the car or trade it in, we just hand it back and move on.
The only downside is being tied into keeping the same car for a set period (or pay a penalty to hand it back early)
This is why we've gone back to buying a car again, just so we have the freedom to change at will.
I also got a great deal on our new car by not having a trade-in for them to worry about.
On the whole though, our experience of the PCH system has been very positive. :)

Last edited:
FZR400RRSP said:
Assuming you mean personal leasing 'in general' and not specifically Audi, our current car (until next week) is a personal lease.
We did it via a company called 'Leden Motor Group'.
Very efficient and helpful.
Paid our three months up front to Leden, then collected the car direct from a Ford Dealer.
Then you just pay your monthly direct debit and keep the car insured, serviced and maintained.
Road tax is their problem, a new disc appears in the post every year.
Now that we're at the end of the lease, it's great that I don't have to sell the car or trade it in, we just hand it back and move on.
The only downside is being tied into keeping the same car for a set period (or pay a penalty to hand it back early)
This is why we've gone back to buying a car again, just so we have the freedom to change at will.
I also got a great deal on our new car by not having a trade-in for them to worry about.
On the whole though, our experience of the PCH system has been very positive. :)

Good feedback. No, not just Audi - BMW actually caught my eye with personal leasing options and prices - some of the 320 and 330 varieties look the business.

Another q - does the dealer restrict models and what you can order via lease or can it be any model with any options ?

GavTNewbie said:
Another q - does the dealer restrict models and what you can order via lease or can it be any model with any options ?

Many of the internet deals you see are based on fixed spec, sometimes even restricted colours.
But you can lease a car of any spec/colour, they'll just adjust the figures accordingly.
If its BMW, try the dealer.
For my Alpina D3 (standard spec) and my 320ED (tons of options) the BMW finance lease figures were as good as anyone else.
They were/are business leases, but I can't see that competitiveness disappearing just because you want a personal lease.
PCH or PCP must be a massive percentage of their business these days.
I know our local BMW mini dealer reckons 90% of their cars are on PCH/PCP.

Don't think you'll get two Vizzies in the back of an A5. Our friend has four Vizslas and they are all as mad as hatters, lovely though.

Lol. We've got the Zafira (Venga Bus) for carting the kids and dogs around.
I've had the CC now (only 4 seats) for three years and I can count on one hand the number of times I've had all the boys in it.
And for good reason, the bus is in a right old state. :eek:

Still pondering what to get, clock is ticking, CC goes back on the 14th Sept. :rolleyes:

Update: I ended up going for the A4 Avant 2.0 TDi Black Edition. :rolleyes:
Can't wait. :devil:

Update: I ended up going for the A4 Avant 2.0 TDi Black Edition. :rolleyes:
Can't wait. :devil:

I love how these threads always end up with something completely different!
I assume your choice is a combination of practicality and more spec for your money? Black editions do come with a lot of kit.

Did you go for manual or auto? If manual please update with how you find the driving position. Some people complain about offset pedals in the current gen A4/A5.

Epicurus said:
Did you go for manual or auto? If manual please update with how you find the driving position. Some people complain about offset pedals in the current gen A4/A5.

I've had a manual A4 for just over a year and the offset pedals aren't a problem at all for me (it was one of the things I was worried about before buying).

I love how these threads always end up with something completely different!
I assume your choice is a combination of practicality and more spec for your money? Black editions do come with a lot of kit.

I've had a manual A4 for just over a year and the offset pedals aren't a problem at all for me (it was one of the things I was worried about before buying).

I went for the manual. I like swapping my own cogs plus its a bit better on the Tax.
Requested the Black Edition expecting to be given a standard Sline so I was over the moon when I was told I could get it. The only features that the Black has over the Sline that I would really have missed from previous car would have been privacy glass, but all the others are a bonus. B&O Stereo, 19 inch wheels, DAB etc.

I'm currently driving an A5 pool car and I did originally notice the offset pedals, but I've had it now for two weeks and don't notice it at all now so not really worried about the A4.
A colleague said that he got a sore hip from driving his A4 saloon, but he's a bit of a short ass.:D

I say exactly the opposite, my 5 series was dull to drive although was much nicer than the A5 for motorway driving. It was the 520d i had vs the 2.0T 211Ps A5 though so there was always going to be a performance differential.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom