Audi A7, BMW 640D, Mercedes CLS/E-Coupe, Jaguar XF/XJ???

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by soupdragon, Jul 14, 2015.

1. soupdragon

soupdragon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    My better half is considering changing her car and I would appreciate some insight from the AVF membership.

Current car is a 2009 Range Rover Sport and we are looking something around 3 year old position, ideally less that 60k miles, and around £25k ish. She loves the RR Sport but no point getting a 3 year old one as it’s the same model, and the 2013 model is about £60k and poor value for money IMO. My sister got a new one a few months ago, and while it’s a far superior car to drive and also in finish/cosmetics – it’s just too damn expensive for what is not far off a doubling in price compared to the current Sport she has.

I’ve looked at the VW Toureg, (which is effectively a Porsche Cayenne with the party frock removed) but because my good lady is a badge snob, she has about as much interest in a VW as she does in making sure our TV has the correct gamma settings. Shame, as the new Toureg seems a great car from the reviews I’ve read.

The RR Evoque is not in the mix as it’s just too small for that type of car.

It doesn’t need to be a 4x4 though, and cars we are looking at are mostly Coupe style:

BMW 640d
    Mercedes E-Class coupe
    Mercedes CLS
    Audi A7
    Jaguar XF
    Jaguar XJ

The missus isn’t totally into the Jag’s but the 2 year Jaguar used warranty is a big attraction for peace of mind.

Cars above will hopefully be a suitable match for her Lewis Vutton handbags so it would be good to hear:

(a) Peoples opinions on the cars above and
    (b) Suggestions of other automobiles that haven’t yet been considered?

2. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,054
    I've owned and enjoyed immensely the 2nd and 3rd cars on your shortlist with the E350 2011 plate being the better by far......will expand later (love the gamma reference btw)

3. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +696
    I'd go for the XJ it's far more of a joy to be in than the others. I wouldn't have an A7 in FWD form and the 640d is probably the most sporty to drive with a cracking engine, ride and handling but dull as dishwater to sit in.

The Merc E-Class coupé is my favourite to look at but least desirable to own because it doesn't do anything that the others do better.

4. soupdragon

soupdragon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    Thanks, would appreciate your insight :thumbsup:

We haven't driven any of them and when we do, the test drive will no doubt be me driving the missus around as she doesn't like test drives.

From visiting showrooms, the XJ is my favourite interior but like you sum up in your last line, there are lots of strengths and weaknesses to choose from - so hard to split them!

5. JDN

JDN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    There is not really a "bad" car in that list.

If 4wd is important the A7 is the choice. If as an only car I would take a 4wd A7.

If I wanted a second car to fulfil the qualities of a GT. As a car to drive to the South of France a 640d is hard to beat. Not a car to love but a car whose qualities are appreciated over the longer term.

6. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I wouldn't class any of them as a car for a woman. E Class cabriolet would be the choice of my wife.

"suitable match for her Lewis Vutton handbags" does she also wear Roy Bands and Guccy?

7. soupdragon

soupdragon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    Lol at Roy Bands and Guccy, I must use those with her :)

I always wind her up with pronouncing the brands of her purchases, instead of saying Chanel (Shan-el) I will say Channel (as in the English Channel). A bit childish of me but I don't think I ever really recovered from the day I gave her my bank card and said she could go and buy herself something nice....she went and bought a £900 Moonberry handbag :eek: It only ever happened once though. Next bag I got for her was a 10p 'bag for life', top value in my book ;)

But yes, E class Cabriolet is a great choice and I agree that the above cars aren't exactly womens cars. The problem we have is that the Range Rover is hers, she drives it daily to work, but its also the family car. My car is a Jaguar S Type which I drive daily too, but the boot space is a bit poor. We've also got 2 young kids so it needs to be able to seat 4 but also have a reasonable boot space. The car needs to have a nice cabin too. I've posted the choices above, with the common theme being that they are coupe-ish styling which make them a little more pleasing on the eye, and the frameless doors on the E-Class Coupe helps a little in differentiating it from the more 'manly' 4 door.

The XJ is maybe a step too far in terms of a car for a lady, but that interior is just so beautiful!

It's hard to know what to do but I'll get her out looking to see what she thinks. I seen a few A7's and A6's yesterday and they shared an issue with the centre console getting damaged quite easily, the sliver surrounds have dents in 3 of the 4 cars I looked at. Takes away from the look of the car. The 640d is, erm, different!?! A bit like being in the cockpit of a plane. I think I like it but not sure what the missus will think.

8. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,038
    I had an E350 coupe and it really is great car. We had to replace this as we needed something with four doors , like you I tried to convince the wife about a Q5 or Toureg but her also being a badge snob opted for the Cayenne. The E350 just everything about it is perfect. I would have another in a heart beat. Mine was 4 years old when I sold it , had 82k on the clock and it still felt, drove and smelt brand new.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,548
    There's the 5-series Gran Turismo as well, that's probably closer to the CLS in intent than the 5/6-series coupe is.

Have you looked on the far eastern side? Infiniti, Lexus, Hyundai Genesis. Lots of petrol engines but I'm guessing running costs aren't too big a deal.

I'm not quite sure about pricing, is a Porsche Panamera out of budget? It's not a huge boot, but it's reasonably sized.

How about Volvo? Big discounts are available on the outgoing S80/V70 and there's a brand new XC90.

10. JDN

JDN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    It might be worth having a look at the new Mercedes GLC & GLE Coupe and 4wd crossovers which are due soon.

11. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +696
    Yeah if the missus does like her 4x4s then I think the GLC could be a decent option. I had the older model as a hire car in the US a few years ago and it did a lot of things right. The new one sorts out the refinement issues and looks a lot better while probably satisfying badge snobbery needs!

Also worth considering facelifted X3 (mid 2014 onwards) because it's not a small car (bigger than a Q5) and has a much more upmarket interior than pre-facelift especially if someone got adventurous with the interior options. Standard features include the snob box ticking powered tailgate. X4 probably fits neatly between the list of coupés/4x4s.

12. soupdragon

soupdragon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking into these :thumbsup:

13. oldsparky

oldsparky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd go for the 640d, had a test drive recently as I'm thinking of buying. Absolutely amazing machine.Though I'm not sure you'll get one at £25000(unless your after the SE spec)Good luck with whatever you choose.

14. wack

wack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I'd go for the 5.0 XJ as it'll get you away from her the fastest