Audi A6 to Audi A7 converts.... thoughts?

I never had the occasion to put a load of (large) stuff in the A6 boot anyway, so the boot difference hasn't been on my radar.

What I have noticed is that it's quieter on the m-way, and the Advanced Cruise Control is so easy. The headroom is slightly less than the A6 and I'm still trying to find the optimum position as I used to have the A6 seat on its highest position. Can't really do that for two reasons in the A7 - (1) the windscreen is also a bit lower , and (2) I can't adjust the Heads Up Display height position far enough.

The A7 is 35mm lower than the A6.

UBDZPwt.png

Although I'm still running it in over the first 1,000 miles, the poise and finesse it has whilst accelerating is silky smooth. Dunno if the Quattro has anything to do with it or not, but it is noticeable a step up from the A6.

I like being able to "send" Google map locations to the car over the internet - saves time having to enter destinations for the first time.

The one niggle I have with it and it is something I am going to have to take up with Audi as I don't think it's right, is the Auto Stop/Start feature. On the A6 the vehicle would be brought to a stop with the brakes and the engine would then stop if it was idle for a couple of seconds (i.e. at traffic lights or a queue). On the A7 I have had several instances where the Auto Stop would cut the engine whilst I was still decelerating and not at a complete stop. When doing this at say a junction with a bend (i.e. a curved approach to a roundabout), and I'm not steering in a straight line, the engine cuts and I loose power to the steering making it so difficult to steer and certainly impossible to react quickly to any situation that may require a change in direction. Sure it only happens when it's doing a couple of MPH, but nonetheless this can;t be right.

How are you running it in,i was advised that you shouldn't run them in old style, fair enough don't rag it but make sure you vary driving style.

Quattro makes a big difference as will the 3.0, also what were you old tyres as that can make a difference.

As for the stop start, that's a feature of the new one and as you said you would roll to a junction with no power. I disliked it so I disabled the stop start completely as I really don't like it anyway

Running-in = avoiding revs > 2,500rpm and the Advanced Cruise Control on the motorway set to mostly 65 with some 70 but with all the traffic on the M6 the speed would vary almost all the time between 55 and 70 depending on the traffic I was following. Just following the recommended manufacturers guidelines.

CpHiPmI.png

Old A6 tyres were Uniroyal Rainsport 3. Which had been quieter than the original Pirellis they'd replaced - about 34k on each set. Tomorrow should see me through the 1,000 miles barrier! Wheeeee!

The manual seems to suggest that if the engine stops before the vehicle comes to a stop, that the "brake booster" and "power steering" is still available. My experience suggests otherwise.. I found out this afternoon that if the engine stops whilst still rolling forward, a slight turn on the steering wheel (although a tad "heavy" without "power steering"), will make the engine start.

rYLRwVs.png

Ok thanks, but I agree it certainly feels like the steering etc on mine was harder when the engine was stopped.i didn't like it anyway cutting out early as I didn't like the time taken to restart etc. Just disabled it permanently so didn't need to switch off each time the car started

Not sure you can disable it permanently though - I thought it reset on each time the ignition was switched off?

I have experienced the stop start on a few cars and I can't get on with them. Always found the setting to disable it :)

Maybe you are braking too hard @Mr Incredible .... it seems to suggest if you brake gently the engine won't stop. Of course the car probably won't either :D

It's breaking gently that does it! Most disconcerting when arriving at a downhill junction on a slight bend!

It's breaking gently that does it! Most disconcerting when arriving at a downhill junction on a slight bend!
In that case it is broken according to that manual you posted!! If you only press lightly it will not stop it says - or is that poor translation from the original German instructions :laugh:

Mine has done it like that but my slightly older one was not as aggressive in cutting out. If you are ever passing Cheshire way i'll happily have words with it and tell it not to, happy to help a fellow avf, pm me if you want to

Beginning to accumulate some stats.

Some of the trips I've done have been a bit of a mare on the MWay, with one in particular being the M6 closure the other week.

Anywhooo

xDRB1CK.png

Today I drove back from Birmingham up the toll road back, M6 queues from J17 to over the thelwall viaduct and home, and the dash registered an average 45.1 MPG. Impressive given it's a 3.0 V6 and 216PS. Well chuffed!

Good going.....I can eek about 35 out of mine if I'm gentle.

Hopefully, that MPG will increase as the engine loosens up.

35 is my motorway cruising :laugh:

I can only dream of 35mpg my long term average after 10k is 29mpg

Ah, my long term average since buying the car and covering about 9,000 is 22'ish.

I have a feeling that over a few months I may have to invoke *SMUG MODE** :)

Smug mode on, don't worry we are buying you some new shoes for Christmas the right one has a new feature in that it now weighs 10kg ;)
On Tuesday I was exiting a mway service station and had the occasion to give it a bit of welly to join at a reasonable speed. It was a subconscious decision as I would normally do that to merge in, but wow, I wasn't expecting that amount of acceleration and throaty growl in front of me. It brought a big smile to my face! Awesome!

On Tuesday I was exiting a mway service station and had the occasion to give it a bit of welly to join at a reasonable speed. It was a subconscious decision as I would normally do that to merge in, but wow, I wasn't expecting that amount of acceleration and throaty growl in front of me. It brought a big smile to my face! Awesome!

Over 1500 miles in before you decide to give it some welly?!?

I got a new car in June and had it airborne over a crest on the first day lol!
(non intentional I might add, I was late for my ferry :) )

You can't have smug mode in a diesel :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom