Audi A5

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what are these like to drive? someone on here must have some experience of one? (didn't realise how long they had been around)

Stopped by the new "Big Motoring World" yesterday and they had dozens of bmws and audis in stock, but it was the A5 that caught my eye the most, nice looking cars. Seems to be plenty of engine options available from 1.8T to a 3.2fsi/3.0 tdi.

Never owned or driven an audi, so what are they like for reliability/services/real world fuel figures etc?

I ran a 3.0 tdi sport quattro coupe for 3 years as a company car, then BIK hikes forced me to downsize for the next car.

It was a manual with 18 inch alloys, tried the 19 inch wheels but IMO they absolutely kill the ride quality.

Used to average 39 mpg over 60000 miles and on motorway trips could get 45 easily and that wasn't at 65mph tailgating trucks either.

Pedals are offset and a well known gripe but I loved the looks of the first cars, mine was March 2008' and also the refined power of the six pot engine. Very quick in 3.0 litre model, no rattle like most four pot diesels.

Miss it badly but the extra £150 per month in an era of capped salary bands at my company makes the downsize a necessity.

Drove a 2.0T for a couple of months before getting my current A4 Avant.
It was just an SE so didn't have the S-Line suspension but it made a very comfortable cruiser. My A4 is an S-Line and the suspension is much firmer and very crashy over pot holes. Jarring sometimes. I'm on 19" wheels right enough.

I loved the looks the Coupe but the two door just was not practical enough for me.

The 2.0T pulled like a train and was very quick for what is quite a heavy car. It was a works pool car with a fair few miles on it and it had a dodgy gear stick, it was very loose and I missed the gear on occasion. I've since worked out that it must have been caused by drivers resting their hand on it as it was the same height as the arm rest and just in line with the radio controls.

All in all a very nice car.

20120813_184948.jpg

The wife drives a A5 convertible, lovely car . I've just put two new tyres on the front £550 .

Brother in law had a 3.0tdi for about a year and it was a cracking motor, I believe he was getting close enough to the same mpg as I get in my 2.0tdi A4.

Would have had an A5 coupe myself if the wife didn't want 4 doors (I preferred the look of the A4 to the sportback versions of the A5)

Have never found the offset pedals a problem and love the interior of the A5/A4.

Wow are people allowed to make unsubstantiated allegations like that , if you believed that then all there cars are faulty which is just silly .

I only said Google. My personal experience lead me to Google their name after visiting them. Make of that what you will.

Both the 3.0tdi and 3.2 petrol are cracking engines and of course come with the benefit of 4wd which transforms the dynamics of the car (for the better).

I was looking for one last summer but couldn't get the spec I wanted, so I bought my lease car (an A4). I'll be looking for one again soon. I've driven several, including 2.0TDI, 2.0FSI and 3.0TDI Quattro. The 3.0 is undoubtedly the best, but obviously it costs more to buy and run. The one thing I don't like on the newer, facelifted version is the electric power steering. It gives a dead feel to the steering and isn't as good as the older version. I'll probably (hopefully) end up with a 2.0 TDI Multitronic, but finding exactly what I want is proving to be rather difficult. Also, Audi dealers seem to offer the best prices to those wanting to take up their finance packages. I'm looking at a cash purchase, which they don't seem too keen on. It seems ridiculous that they'd rather mess around with finance than just take a cheque for around £30k, but I guess they're making more profit on the finance than on the car.

Last edited:
i really shouldn't keep looking at new cars, but i can't help myself.

if i stick with my car, i will be debt free within 6 months (no car loan, no credit card bills etc), for the first time in 6 years.
however, if i take out finance then i am stuck with it for another 3 years at least, but will have a newer/better car.

i am a bit scared of audi's going wrong though as i can imagine them costing a lot to fix - of the 3 or 4 people i know who have had them personally, each has had something go wrong - whereas my 8 year old civic has (so far) been faultless.

Most recent Audis come with a 3 year warranty AFAIK, so if you're looking for one younger than that, all should be well. My ex-lease A4 2.0 petrol S-Line that I bought is now 5 1/2 years old and has been faultless. My previous company car was also an A4 - a 1.9TDi, and that only had a glow plug failure in 4 years.

BTW if you haven't found them yet, the A5OC forums are an excellent source of everything A5 related:

Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum - A5/S5 Owners Club

The general consensus on there is that they like the cars, but aren't very keen on the dealers.

I've been obsessing over an Audi A5 for a couple of weeks now, and since I too am just becoming debt free (mortgage free inc.!) I do not want to take out any new finance. I plan to save the money and buy one outright. Even if takes a year or two.

This will give me plenty of time to um and arr between the 2.0 TDI or 3.0 TDI Quattro...

3.0 TDI ;) go hard or go home :p

But then I remember.. I live in the UK and when will I use the power :)

Also I was hoping some something to be easier going with potholes (so maybe not s-line)

My partner also like economy... so it might be a hard sell over the 2.0 TDI.

We will see though! even with all that I still want to consider it..

But then I remember.. I live in the UK and when will I use the power :)

Also I was hoping some something to be easier going with potholes (so maybe not s-line)

My partner also like economy... so it might be a hard sell over the 2.0 TDI.

We will see though! even with all that I still want to consider it..

S-Line is fine, the lower "sports" suspension is now a no cost option. My 2.0 TDI only gets me an average of 38mpg, I doubt the 3.0 is much worse.

sheriffwoody said:
i just accidently clicked on the "rs4" button when searching on autotrader.

some of these are becoming quite affordable (to buy) now - running them is a different matter i fear.

Audi RS4 RS 4 QUATTRO 4DR 4.2 2006
Audi RS4 RS 4 Quattro 4dr Saloon 4.2 2006
this one seems extremely cheap, too good to be true?
Audi RS4 RS 4 QUATTRO 4DR 6 SPD HUGE SPEC 4.2 2006

I had an A8 4.2 Quattro , I absolutely loved it but it had to go, even when petrol was 75p a litre 8-10 mpg was crippling , if you drove it like a nun you might see 20 mpg on a run it where's the fun in that

The other problem was maintenance, the bills can be astronomical £1000 for a cambelt, £2500-5000 if the gearbox goes , £1500 for the head gasket etc etc

Lovely to drive but you need deep pockets to run an old one

i rung up and spoke to someone (who sounded about 14) and he said the car had 88k on it. i asked what it was like, and he just said "yeah, nice and tidy"

i rung up and spoke to someone (who sounded about 14) and he said the car had 88k on it. i asked what it was like, and he just said "yeah, nice and tidy"

LMAO, probably get a completely different number if you call again.

I currently have a 2008 A4 convertible S-line. The next upgrade was going to be the A5 but after seeing the New facelift A5 it's put me in two minds. I would really want the facelift; it's made a great looking car even better but I can't afford it right now. Might have to put the car upgrade on the back burner for a while!

I always get one of these when my A7 is in for service etc and I seem to have had all variants now including 2L and 3L as well as coupe, cabriolet and sport back

They feel like they are rock solid build wise and the 3.0tdi Quattro coupe S Line I had last time seemed to defy the laws of physics in the corners.

Still wouldn't swap my A7 for one but that's a very different car.

keighley Sports and Performance cars are often HUGE milers and they only list mileage on cars under 100k.

It's probably a good idea to google them, I've heard bad things about them over a number of forums about car condition and service.

So I have been running an A5 Sportback 2.0L Diesel (177BHP I think) S Line with front wheel drive and an auto box for the last couple of days. It had just under 1000 miles on the clock so pretty new

Looks fantastic, had nice comfortable sports seats and a nice layout (as they all do) but the drive was horrible. Twitchy, no feedback and loads of road noise. The engine itself was OK but the ride was really bad.

Partly down to FWD and partly down to 19" alloys (why?) but compared to the A5 Coupe I had a few weeks ago that had the 3L TDI and Quattro, it's hard to believe these are both the same basic car.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom