Audi A4 120ps / 143ps

dmx005

Just wondering if anyone has driven both the 120ps & 143ps variations of the A4 and if so is there much difference between the two engines? I've previously had the 143 & currently looking for a replacement.

thanks.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I had the 120PS Avant until Feb this year. At the time I could just scrape into having an A4 so I put up with the lower spec and 120PS engine, but everytime I had a courtesy car they would give me a 143 or even 170PS model and my 120PS felt like a slug when I got back into it. :D Thankfully I got a promotion so was able to chose a 320d 183PS model, which is 50% more powerful and yet I get 3-4mpg more out of it and can even get well over 50mpg if I take it easy, which I never could with the A4.

In short, get the 320d. :D

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Drove the 120PS before my current 110PS Volvo V50. It is a bit "flat" with no surge of power at any rev range and needs the diesel stirring to overtake.

The 143PS seems to have more torque - not sure if this is the case on paper, and this makes a big difference when overtaking and event just maintaining speed on the motorway.

dmx005

I do like the 320D but as I live on top of a hill reluctant to go for a beemer!

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
Thats a pretty pathetic engine to put in to an Audi A4!

Most bog standard fiesta's/corsa's must have similar HP and weigh a fair bit less.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
dmx005 said:
I do like the 320D but as I live on top of a hill reluctant to go for a beemer!
I'm guessing this is the old snow fallacy.
Yes, they're not great in snow on standard tyres.
But, guess what, neither is an A4.;-)

Why, in Britain, do we expect cars to perform in winter without doing anything to help them?
:confused:

Stick winter tyres on any car you get, it'll transform it.

Arcam_boy

Distinguished Member
FZR400RRSP said:
You think bog standard Fiestas and Corsas put out 120bhp?
:-o
I said about. What's a 1.6 tdci fiesta put out? its gotta be 100hp or there abouts and must weigh a few hundred kg less than an a4. You can even get the baby a1 with 143ps diesel and that's not overly quick!

Inked

Distinguished Member
Arcam_boy said:
I said about. What's a 1.6 tdci fiesta put out? its gotta be 100hp or there abouts and must weigh a few hundred kg less than an a4. You can even get the baby a1 with 143ps diesel and that's not overly quick!
Current fiesta 1.6 TDCI is 95hp, up from 89hp when it was first released in 2008. And it's crap.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Inked said:
Current fiesta 1.6 TDCI is 95hp, up from 89hp when it was first released in 2008. And it's crap.
Our 2009 1.6tdci was 86bhp.
And you're right, it was crap.

But "bog standard" Fiestas and Corsas are available with less power than that.
I'm sure the Corsa is available with a 1.0 petrol engine that barely scrapes 60-70bhp.

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
Base models:

Corsa 65PS (75PS Diesel)
Polo 60PS (75PS Diesel)
Fiesta 60PS (70PS Diesel)

Last edited: