Audi A4 1.8 turbo / Quattro differences ?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Hjboss, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Hjboss

Hjboss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the difference in specs and other in a standard a4 1.8 turbo and a a4 1.8 turbo Quattro ??

Any experts that have owned or driven both would like to shed some light pls ??

And what would you recommend and why ?

2. steven2907

steven2907

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Quattro is 4 wheel drive

3. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,082
    Likely to be different steering, power delivery and driving characteristics..

Tyre wear will be different and you'll have no problems in the snow. I drive an S5 Quattro currently and the handling is incredible for a relatively heavy car.

4. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    I've driven both and own a 1.8T. Quattro has really good grip but heavier on petrol.

5. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Just ask yourself whether you need Quattro.
    Yes, it'll be better on snow using normal tyres, but stick winter tyres on a two wheel drive car and it'll be perfectly fine (many say better than a 4WD on normal tyres).
    Quattro is dragging around approx 75kgs of weight that may be superfluous to your needs.
    It's not like a 1.8T is fire-breahting monster that needs the traction (I had a 1.8T Golf Gti).

6. docurley

docurley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to state what year, I'm an audi nut and know the A4 quite well up to the B7 and owned a few so I might be able to help.

basics have been covered quattro means 4 wheel drive. Trim difference will be determined by if it's a none sport, sport or S-Line.

if it's not a quattro it will be front wheel drive but slightly quicker off the line than a quattro but reversed if wet. Power can vary with said different models as well with the S-Line being more powerful.

7. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,416
    Quattro, or any four wheel drive will certainly make it safer in the wet. However, even four wheel drives will throw themselves into the undergrowth if driven outside their own, or the drivers capabilities. Don't be fooled into thinking a quattro will make you a better driver, it could certainly fool you into thinking that but it could very well come back and bite you.

8. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Define "safer in the wet"?
    It gives you better traction when first pulling away, granted, but it's not as if the rest of us are sitting there wheelspinning and not going anywhere.:D
    Once you're rolling, I've never noticed a shred of difference between Quattro and non-Quattro cars.
    Certainly not in the sort of power levels you and I are driving.

9. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,416
    I do have more confidence in the Q3 pulling out, as I have to everyday, onto a busy main road where the 30 limit is completely ignored. I have also found that on muddy and leaf strewn country roads traction and therefore grip is better. Again the tyres will make a difference, having four wheel drive with bald tyres is not to be recommended. It maybe small but the mud on the road by a farm gate is certainly handled better than being driven onto by a front wheel drive car.

It's not a panacea a good driver will read the road and it's present conditions whether on two wheel, or indeed four wheel drive and drive accordingly. All wheel drives as marketed as being safer and then that statement alone may make the inexperienced or foolhardy think they are better drivers than they actually are.