Audeze Penrose Gaming Headphones Review & Comments

Cameron583

Thanks @Greg Hook, any idea how these compare to XM4, Senns M3 etc etc when using 2.4ghz?

Ive got Sennheiser M2s and the Mobius.

The mobius are phenomenal - the way they produce audio is very different to Sennheiser.

The Sennheisers sound warmer with more bass, much more pleasant to listen to for long periods.

The mobius are highly resolving and brighter, but not sibilant. The bass is outstandingly balanced. So, so punchy. The attack on kick drums is so aggressive. Love them :)

Ruffuz

Ive got Sennheiser M2s and the Mobius.

The mobius are phenomenal - the way they produce audio is very different to Sennheiser.

The Sennheisers sound warmer with more bass, much more pleasant to listen to for long periods.

The mobius are highly resolving and brighter, but not sibilant. The bass is outstandingly balanced. So, so punchy. The attack on kick drums is so aggressive. Love them :)

Thanks, but it seems there's no clear winner.

I also have M2 btw

Cameron583

Thanks, but it seems there's no clear winner.

I also have M2 btw

For listening to music, I prefer the Sennheisers overall - I can listen to them for longer and find them more comfortable.

But the quality of sound from the mobius is undoubtedly better.

bash

I managed to snag the Mobius cheap via evil gay but I'm using the bluetooth mainly so thinking of "upgrading" to the Penrose so I can get the lossless 2.4ghz going on but cheapest I seen em is £249 refurbished . . . .

Cupp

Do they sell the USB dongles separately? Is it possible to make them work with both consoles?

iainl2005

From what I’ve read the Penrose X works on both Xbox and PS5.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Any owners still around here? Any regrets / issues, would you recommend these over the Mobius?

iainl2005

I had a pair for a few weeks, sounded incredible but unfortunately my mic was faulty so had to send them back for a replacement.

GreyMutton

I had been waiting for these to release last year but they kept being delayed. Really wanted to try the drivers. Really not keen on the Xbox/PS colour schemes, all black would've been my preference.

In the end up I bought the steel series arctis pro wireless in the Amazon sales for £205. I've no doubt the audio quality in the Penrose cans would be better but they weren't actually available. Also for £100 less, with interchangeable batteries and the base unit it was a no brainer.

Been really happy with the arctis cans but, still, I'm properly itching to try these.

Steven

Senior Moderator
As far as I know there is only one UK authorised retailer for these and they have always had stock and looking at the website today there is still stock. In fact I seem to recall the pre order discount price was still being advertised for Xmas delivery, showing the UK initial allocation was not sold out. The pre order price is no longer available today

bash

You can get refurbished cans for £249

MartinH32

I had the Mobius ones for a while and sent them back. I found the build quality distinctly average and the sound no better the Astro A50's for gaming. For music I still prefer my momentum 2's

MrMrH

@Greg Hook - will you be reviewing the new Microsoft Xbox headphones?

CentralScrutinizer

Standard Member
I have owned these since December and they're a huge disappointment.

The sound quality is indeed very good, and unlike some, I have found the headset to be very comfortable. I have two major problems with this product, though.

First, the wireless connection is awful. I have the Series X and use the dongle provided in the package. A similar setup on my last headset, a Turtle Beach, led to rock-steady wireless up to 50 feet away - I could even leave my house and go to my mailbox, and still hear my buddies on Xbox Live. With the Penrose, I can be sitting five feet away and the audio will cut out, followed by the "Connected" message I've grown to hate. Doesn't happen every time - sometimes, it works well for hours on end. But once it starts, it repeats, over and over and over.

Naturally, this issue only took place once in the first 30 days of ownership when I could have returned them. Now it's happening every few gaming sessions, almost at random.

I thought about using them as a wired headset for movies and music, as the sound quality is better than any other headset I own, but, that's where issue number two comes into play.

I have noticed recently a "crackle" coming from the right ear speaker. It's a physical sound that you can hear with the headset turned off - there's a sound like a candy wrapper being crunched up when I turn my head.

I was going to contact Audeze for a warranty claim, but, per their customer support website, in the FAQs, they post the following, beneath the question "Why does my headset crinkle when I press on it?":

Since air is trapped between your head and the diaphragm it creates a pressure zone, and as the headphones shift with movement you may hear a slight crinkling sound from the diaphragm. This is a normal occurrence with planar magnetic drivers and is nothing to be concerned about, it's the sound of the thin diaphragm moving back and forth with the changes in air pressure.

Sometimes as the driver film stretches slightly with age, the sound can become more apparent, and sometimes it may also lessen again. This is mostly influenced by factors in your environment (such as temperature and humidity), and we don't have much control over whether or not this occurs.

One important note is that we strongly recommend exercising certain cautions when handling planar magnetic headphones: trapped air can create high pressure and sudden pressure changes could damage the diaphragms, and this is not covered by warranty. The same is true when you put the headphones on or take them off-- it's not a good idea to press them hard and fast against the head, so we recommend slow and steady movement to allow the air pressure to stabilize.

To me, no review of this product is complete unless that little factoid is mentioned. The Turtle Beach headset that I intended for the Penrose to replace was dropped and sat on more than once, and occasionally removed and put back on very rapidly, but I never had any issues - the Penrose demands "Special Treatment" (which makes the lack of including a headset stand all the more glaring) and the company doesn't cover it if anything goes wrong.

It's tragic, because the audio separation which is so critical to gaming is quite excellent, but the overall user experience leaves so much to be desired it's not worth the headache.

The Fuggler

I had the same problem with the sweet wrapper sound and sent mine back for a repair or replacement from the retailer. They replaced them without issue. I have similar issues when wandering too far from the Xbox, but not encountered any problems when actually gaming. However, the sound is outstanding and they are by far my favourite headset that I've used from a sound perspective - I just hope the second pair lasts...

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Yea, the wireless range on these is poor.

The crinkle sound seems to stem from the delicate nature of the planar drivers so they need to be treated with care and some will fail even if wrapped in cotton wool it seems.

I had a problem with mine with the Bluetooth connection when it would drop the mic connection, but bit audio, after 5-10 mins. Was also really disappointed with the mic quality (although an update is supposedly imminent to improve this).

I returned mine - the audio quality was fantastic but there were too many negative points for me.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021