Audessy calibration with foam bungs or without?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Welsh Whirlwind, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Welsh Whirlwind

Welsh Whirlwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere: - should I run audessy xt32 with my speaker bungs in, or out?

I'm using a Denon X4200 alongside a @Q Acoustics 3000 5.1 setup with 3050 floor standing fronts.

Following my initial Audessy calibration bass was slightly boomy, and inserting foam bungs helped to tone down the issue. (Crossovers all set at 80hz and sub 120hz, speakers set to small).

I've now moved my speakers slightly and I want to run the Audesdy setup again, should I leave in the bungs? Or does this 'colour' the calibration process?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  2. gav21041981

gav21041981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    If you intend to leave the bungs in then calibrate with them in. If you will be taking them out then calibrate without.

3. Welsh Whirlwind

Welsh Whirlwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Thanks, I'm just looking to understand whether this would have an affect on the calibration process itself, i.e. would the bungs cause an incorrect result and they are better applied after running Audessy?

4. gav21041981

gav21041981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Audessy will have a preset target curve and using the bungs will effect the frequency response. If you use the bungs during the calibration process and then remove them after it will change the frequency response. Again if calibrating without and then add them later you will lose some low frequency response and thus making the calibration 'incorrect' any changes made will need to be recalibrated.

Whether or not you can significantly hear the differences is another matter. What audessy sets and what you like maybe completely different.

Experiment and see what sounds best to you