Audessey Advice

monty91

Standard Member
Reaction score
After months of decorating and buying my kit bit by bit as I can afford it, today was finally the day. Oh what a pleasurable day it should have been...........

Everything is set up and I'm at the Audessey calibration part;

It starts with the tone on the front left, then centre, then right, all good so far, then it says SURROUND RIGHT, which I don't have so obviously no sound, then REAR SURROUND RIGHT, I hear the tone..........then theres a long pause and it says RETRY. It doesn't try the Surround left rear, which I have, or the surround left, which I don't. It must know somethings wrong as it doesn't give me a next ption either, just retry or cancel.

I've checked and rechecked all cables are plugged into correct places, connections and speaker are good, if I plug the rear left in as the front left it tones fine.

What's going on, any ideas??

I'm going a bit insane as the kits all set up in front of me and I can't play! HEEEEELLLLLLPPPP !

Cheers Monty :(

Just set mine up today as well. I'm assuming you have 5.1 speakers, if so they should be plugged into surround right and surround left. Not the rear surround right and left unless you have 7.1 speakers.

Hi,

Trying to get the best sound possible and need some expert advice, hence I turn to you all :p

I have Onyko 605 and Quad L-ite Speakers and SW.

It is a small front room with the front and centre speakers either side and under the TV. The side surrounds are wall mounted either side of the listening position higher pointing down.

Here is what Audessey set me as.

SP Distance:

Front 2.40m
Centre 2.40m
Surround Right 2.10m
Surround Left 2.70m
Sub 1.80m

SP Level:

Left +1.0db
Centre 0.0db
Right +1.0db
Surround Right 0.0db
Surround Left +3.0db
Sub -5.0db

SP Config:

Sub Yes
Front Full Band
Centre 120hz
Surround Full band

What do you think? does it look right? The distances are spot on btw.

Thank you

Tepp

Cheers, I know its hard if your not here listening to it :)

The reason I posted this was I heard that you should not have full band on but all set to 80??

Also is 0db right for centre?

odb is only 1db out from the front left and right so it is probably right...I don't know nwhat size your speakers are. Rule of thumb I use is if they are floor standers, set it to full range. If they are bookshelf, set the crossover to 80hz and try it...

Yep, it seems that in my excitement, even after reading the instructions numerous times, my brain could not decipher written word and I was plugged into rear rather than surround. All is now good and my 605 with my Kef 3005's is truly amazing.

Even more amazing is the fact, that under the guise of decorating the living room, I have ditched all the furniture and turned it into a cinema.......and the mrs loves it !
RESULT

Thanks all, Monty :thumbsup:

odb is only 1db out from the front left and right so it is probably right...I don't know nwhat size your speakers are. Rule of thumb I use is if they are floor standers, set it to full range. If they are bookshelf, set the crossover to 80hz and try it...

hi,what the freq crossover for q acoustics 1010i?
thx.

Cheers, I know its hard if your not here listening to it :)

The reason I posted this was I heard that you should not have full band on but all set to 80??

Also is 0db right for centre?

You have small speakers. Set the crossover point to 80Hz for all the channels and the LPF of LFE to 120Hz. The distances will likely be correct (remember they are acoustic distances and not physical distances), check the channel levels using a SPL (sound pressure level) meter if you have one, Audyssey is usually pretty accurate here though.

You have small speakers. Set the crossover point to 80Hz for all the channels and the LPF of LFE to 120Hz. The distances will likely be correct (remember they are acoustic distances and not physical distances), check the channel levels using a SPL (sound pressure level) meter if you have one, Audyssey is usually pretty accurate here though.

For odd reasons, some of my speakers come and go, so I ran Audyssey at the weekend with several different speaker set-ups. I noted the results and plan to use them manually in future to avoid rerunning Audyssey. In all the runs without a subwoofer, all my speakers were set to full band (which I would expect) but when the subwoofer was present none were set to full band. The fronts were set to 120Hz which seemed odd since they can go much lower. The centre was set to 80Hz. It surprised me that it was set lower than the fronts.

My front speakers are floor standing Tannoy R3s. According to their specs, they go down to 39Hz. Certainly the bass is good.

The centre is also a Tannoy but I forget the model.

The surrounds (ordinary and rear) are all Mission M60is.

The subwoofer is a cheap thing that I borrowed but I expect to receive a BK Gemini in a couple of days.

Would people suggest accepting Audyssey's setting or switching the speakers, especially the R3s, back to full band or at least a lower cross-over?

if there is no subwoofer present it will set the fronts to full band otherwise you would lose low frequencies all-together. however with a sub-woofer your fronts should definitely not be 120hz...I'd wait for your BK gemini and run it again (make sure you are really quiet so as not to distract Audyssey!). I'd suggest your fronts should be either 70 or 80hz anyhow.

Need advice..

which eq should i use?
Dynamic eq/Audyssey/Off..i find that dynamic eq is give more powerfull and detailed sound..is it true?
please help me..thx.

I thought the LPF of the LFE was setting the roll off not setting a brick wall. So setting it to 120hz allows higher frequencies to be played louder but setting it at 80hz (THX) still allows all the LFE upto 120hz but starts the roll off earlier. Thats how I understood it. Has anyone ran a sweep test to see what its doing?

if there is no subwoofer present it will set the fronts to full band otherwise you would lose low frequencies all-together. however with a sub-woofer your fronts should definitely not be 120hz...I'd wait for your BK gemini and run it again (make sure you are really quiet so as not to distract Audyssey!). I'd suggest your fronts should be either 70 or 80hz anyhow.

Thanks. Obviously, I was not expecting to use the Audyssey results with the borrowed subwoofer for the Gemini, I was just trying to improve my understanding and see what difference removing the subwoofer made to the configuration of the other speakers. Mostly it was as I expected, e.g. the distances and levels did not change, but I was surprised by the cut-off frequencies.

I have tried to find detailed specs for my R3s but I can only find basic stuff such as 39Hz to 20,000Hz. I presume that there is drop off at the extremes so 70 or 80Hz cross-over sounds sensible, take the lower octave off the R3s and give it to the sub.

With the current cheap sub, the problem is music. It does the effects in movies reasonably competently but does not do music well. Hence my reluctance to limit the R3s. I am hoping that the Gemini will do music well and I can live with the higher cross-over. If Audyssey does not set a lower cross-over when I repeat with the Gemini then I will experiment with manually moving it.

It is hard to get perfect quietness, I have to wait for everyone to leave the house. It is no good just asking them to be quiet. Even then, the occasional loud vehicle goes past and spoils things. This is why I want to run Audyssey with several different configurations and note the results. Later, if I change things, I can just manually dial in the configuration.

The reason for the changes are:

The centre is on a stand under the wall mounted panel and is vulnerable to visiting little kids and hence is sometimes removed. This seems simple, just tell the amp that it had gone and leave the rest alone.

The sub does not go anywhere but I leave it turned off for most music. This may change when the Gemini comes. See comments above. This seems to cause more setting changes.

The rear surrounds are not permanent. To use them, I have to borrow them from the system in another room and move furniture in the AV room. This is something my son and I do sometimes when the wife is out for the evening. This involves bringing the normal surrounds forward so quite a few settings change.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom