Auddessey

T

The WB

I will love know how many people have done an audessey test on there amp more than once.

raymen

Novice Member
Oke,i run it fout times . .

But have a question abot it.

I have the avc-11xv,and the amp puts almost all the speakerlevels at -9.0.dB

And the sub at -9.5db and the distance was 6.5 meter.

But it stance 3 meter from the couch.

Has anybody have the same problem.

With these settings i have little to no bass.

Please help.:cool:

Mvrg,
Raymen

raymen

Novice Member
Oke,i run it four times now. .

But i have a question about it.

Mvrg,
Raymen[/QUOTE]

T

The WB

Unfortunatley you need a firmware update. When I had the a11 i had the same problem I was forever doing tests, couldn't figure out why the bass was low until i stumbled across this forum.

raymen

Novice Member
Oke Thx.

How and where did you get your update.

or did you do it yourself.

Mvrg,
Raymen

justsurfing55

Standard Member
raymen said:
Oke,i run it four times now. .

But i have a question about it.

Mvrg,
Raymen
[/QUOTE]

I ran my Audissey several times too and I got very low levels on all speakers and SW plus the EQ settings sounded so flat and awful I decided not to use it at all.

T

The WB

when i updated my amp to the a status they did that for me for free. if im correct there are guys in this forum that actually had updates for the denon. It made a big difference. not i get the proper bass.

justsurfing55

Standard Member
The WB said:
when i updated my amp to the a status they did that for me for free. if im correct there are guys in this forum that actually had updates for the denon. It made a big difference. not i get the proper bass.

Updates for what models? Mine is a 2807 and don't know it can take updates.

Jase

Distinguished Member
The Audyssey update only applies to the A1XV and A11XV and it's only for early models. The EQ system didn't correct properly below 100hz and also boosted treble a bit too much so a firmware update was issued. Other models in the Denon range didn't suffer from this problem.

Jase

Distinguished Member
A lot depends on room size, where you place the mic etc. Only thing I can suggest is re-take the measurements but spread them out throughout the room after you've taken the initial first measurement. Try one where you sit, then another two off to the left and right about 3ft either side. Then take three more measurements, one each about 3ft in front of the front three speakers.

Most of my readings are in the negative figures apart from the Fronts which are at 0db. Surrounds/Surround Backs and Sub are all at -4db, -6db etc.

justsurfing55

Standard Member
I tried that several times. The results are the same; it sets my sub to -9dB, the rest of the speakers to -3dB and set them all to large (I have B&W 602 series and CM1). And the sound is poor, not good bass or highs, all flat. I like it more in Manual Mode; it's the only way I get the most of the frequencies.

Jase

Distinguished Member
If it's set the speakers to Large make sure that the Sub setting is LFE+Main as by default it will be set to LFE only. Alternatively, override the EQ's selection and set all the speakers to small, all bass to sub with the crossover around 80hz. It won't affect the overall EQ settings.

justsurfing55

Standard Member
I did all that. Still the difference when listening to Manual EQ is huge.
I have a question Jase. How can I lower the Bass level when I'm using the following settings?
-Manual EQ and Tone Defeat - OFF.
I get very good sound in all frequencies that way; the Bass with Tone Defeat is set to -2 and -3 sometimes but sometimes when I get too much bass I turn it down to -6 and still the bass doesn't change. Do you know any way to fix that?

Jase

Distinguished Member
The only thing you could do in that situation is lower the SW channel level. Just press the CH Select Enter button on the remote and cycle through until SW appears, then use the cursor buttons to adjust it.

Have you tried the Flat or Front EQ settings?

justsurfing55

Standard Member
Yes, that's what I have to do normally. I have tried FLAT and Front but I don't like Flat at all and the Front EQ not sure about it yet; I can't notice much difference.
So why is it that the Bass doesn't change with Tone Defeat when it is supposed to? When I change the highs I can notice the difference though.

Jase

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure at what frequency the bass settings work on the Tone controls (at a guess I'd say around 100hz/120hz maybe). When I played around with mine there wasn't a massive difference either. Mine will let me adjust the Tone for pairs of speakers but I think the 2807 only has a global Tone adjustment for all speakers. Other speakers may well show a greater difference.

Jase

Distinguished Member
I'd just play with all the settings available to you and tinker until you find a setting that suits you. EQ isn't always to everyone's taste.

GlynH

So as I am toying with the idea of upgrading my AVC-A1SRA to the A1XVA to take advantage of the Auto-Setup I am led to believe that it is next to useless and you should set it up manually to achieve audio nirvana? :eek:

The auto-setup and the ability to bi-amp my front speakers would have been my prime motive for upgrading...and if I understand correctly 50% of my reason for upgrading has vanished? :mad:

Sigh...:rolleyes:

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

justsurfing55

Standard Member
GlynH said:
So as I am toying with the idea of upgrading my AVC-A1SRA to the A1XVA to take advantage of the Auto-Setup I am led to believe that it is next to useless and you should set it up manually to achieve audio nirvana? :eek:

The auto-setup and the ability to bi-amp my front speakers would have been my prime motive for upgrading...and if I understand correctly 50% of my reason for upgrading has vanished? :mad:

Sigh...:rolleyes:

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

It all depends on how you like the sound; in my personal case I didn't like the sound so I went Manual. But you can try testing one in a shop although the results will alwaya vary because the setup they may have can be different to yours. But just check one and see if you like the Auto sound.

GlynH

Thanks for the quick reply but for me it would defeat the object of setting it up anywhere other than in the room it is going to be used in...wouldn't it? :confused:

I love gadgets and this does appeal but only if it works...:D

I thought the object of the exercise was to achieve a flat or accurate frequency response anyways?

I always use my SRA 'flat' with Tone defeat on, no subwoofer and Pure Direct engaged when listening to music and never use any DSP modes when listening to films.

As a former Naim user all I need is a volume control - but for that I need a flat response to start with...for me tone controls & DSP modes are evil :devil:
:)
As an XVA owner I would appreciate any more comments/opinions - especially with regard to the SRA if you had one before.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Jase

Distinguished Member
I'm in the other camp as Audyssey sounds superb to my ears. Previous Denon was the KA1SE and the A1XV is a clear step in terms of performance. I spent time taking measurements throughout the room and placed the mic on a tripod.

I use the Audyssey setting for movies and the Flat setting for music, even for Pure Direct mode (Sub on though ;) ). PLIIx music with EQ on sounds great and I can also apply it to both DVD Audio and SACD via Denon Link from my DVD player. Tone Defeat is on for all modes.

Only DSP option I use is Dolby PLIIx applied to both Dolby and DTS 5.1 tracks.

raymen

Novice Member
Okay,

I went to my dealer today,and he says my firmware is old one.
So i have to install a new version.

In the evening i wil get my new version by email.

And i can put the new version through the rs 232 input on my AMP.

Hope the auddesse yproblem will be solved.

I will be getting version 9 the latest version.

Mvrg,
Raymen

raymen

Novice Member
Well ,yesterday i did the upgrade.

Everything went well,
i have the upgrade sent from the pc too the amp i used a rs 232 cable.

But now ,with the new upgrade my Auddessey is completely gone.

i only can switch between manual and off.

Auddessey,flat,and front is not an option anymore.

has anybody have an ideaa wat has happend.
The upgrade says that it was succesfull.

Soeverything went well i guess.

Mvrg,
Raymen

Jase

Distinguished Member
Could try resetting it? With the unit off, hold down the Pure Direct and Direct/Stereo buttons on the front panel then switch the power back on. Hold the buttons a few seconds and the display will flash and reset everything back to the factory defaults.

Trending threads

Latest news

Best Home AV Products 2019 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Disney+ unveils Maclunkey cut of Star Wars: A New Hope
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ subscribers experience launch day technical jitters
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix to stop supporting older Samsung TVs in December