Question ATX based HTPC Upgrade

icstm

Established Member
Reaction score
As you can see from my build log, my current hardware is a little dated and would love the forum to suggest upgrade options!

Not sure of budget, but generally I have gone mainstream enthusiast type components. Happy to take a different steer based on your inputs.

I would like to update the following:
  • Processor (from i5 2500k)
  • Motherboard (Asus P8P67 Pro)
  • Graphic Card (if needed, I understand the processors are much better now with true 23.976 support and HDR future proofing

I Will keep
  • Case and PSU (Fractal R3)
  • SSD with current build of OS and apps (Evo 840 I think)
  • HDD (multiple internal)
  • seperate external SATA box (StarTech) so motherboard required to support port multiplier for eSATA

I Will need to replace

• 16Gb RAM (might not need that much)

New items:

• non black colour wireless keyboard, not too big or noisy, but good to typing

Thoughts please!

The Mobo should have Coax audio output and either it on GFX should have HDMI (obvs).
If the Mobo has Bluetooth, bonus, but I have a dongle if required.

I should add key uses:
  • Media server (Plex, JRiver)
  • Media Player - please spec for MadVR
  • Photo / video editor
  • Work (semi large spreadsheets and the like)

Last edited:
any thoughts on the above? esp if i can get away with just a cpu these days?

@ChuckMountain thanks for you reply.
Why a GPU? you mean one that supports CUDA? or are there now AMD (ATI) cards that can accelerate MadVR processing of video?

I was thinking a little CPU boost could work and thus I was wondering which of them work well with MadVR directly without a GPU. I understand their own graphics ability now correctly supports 24p, HDR, etc

You didn't mention what gpu you had before or whether you just used built in one.

I just wondered whether you could get away with a low end passive Nvidia GPU.

Processor is not bad for your requirements and just wondering if replacing MB and cpu you are spending more than you need to?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom