1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attn: Sony DAV-S500 owners

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by RMCF, Mar 8, 2002.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Just before I buy it, I was wondering if current owners could tell me the maximum distance you can have the subwoofer away from the main amp part of the system. In other words, how long is the lead??

2. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope you dont take this as an insult if yuo alerady know, but you can easily and cheaply relpace the speaker wire or mono RCA cable with longer versions to place it anywhwere you like.

I'm sorry I don't know the direct answer to your question.

Regards

3. ma6235

ma6235

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm guessing that the original length is 5m, I extended mine by a further 3m. Still works fine !

4. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    No insult taken Craig. What I was hinting at was basically, 'does the system have a non-standard Sony lead that MUST be used'. It is just that on 1 of the reviews for these type sof 'all-in-one' systems (poss Pioneer) I remember reading that it was a shame that the subwoofer had to be within 1 metre of the main unit. Just wanting to check that this wasn't the case with the Sony.

5. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Indeed, the dav does use 'unique' plugs fitted to the end of the spkr wire that connects to the unit.

Fortunately, the end which connects to the spkrs (inc the sub) is just bare wire, so easy to extend.

As a side note, did you know there is a new Sony model just round the corner? Due May, I think. It's called the DAV 400, and although it's supposed to be the replacement for the 300, it appears to be identical to the 500. The power is still 40w per channel, although the sub appears to the same as what was supplied with the 300, which is a bit limp.

Details are at http://www.whatvideotv.com/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=1584

I've got a 500 on order - couldn't wait for the new models!

Unbeatable and Empiredirect have prices for this new one.

6. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Now you tell me !! I too have just placed an order with techtronics about 2 hours ago for the S500. But it does not bother me cos I got the multi-region S500 including delivery to NI (which can be expensive from from suppliers) for £478. From all the reviews that I had read of this system it sounds like a bargain to me. Really looking forward to getting it set up. I know that it comes with plenty of speaker cable for the fronts/rears (5m and 15m respectively) but as I said above I was just curious as to whether you were restricted with the location of the sub. Happy to hear that I can now buy some good speaker cable and locate it wherever I want in the room. I don't think that I would have bought the lower model anyway if there was any doubt about its capabilities. I know that maybe in 12 months time there will be a similar system out that'll probably blow my S500 away, but thats progress and we always upgrade, don't we? I think that the facilities that the S500 has (DD,DTS,SACD,VCD,CDR etc) should keep me happy for a couple of years anyway.

7. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    £478 is a fantastic price!

8. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    While on the subject of the DAV-S500 and its impending arrival, can anyone advise as to where I would get speaker brackets and rear stands.

9. somebugger

somebugger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Already tried that link and as usual for us Northern Ireland residents, my 'local' Sony Centre is in Manchester.

11. cardy

cardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a DAVS 500 but i am having trouble . How do you connect an NTL Digital cable box to the DAV. Do you have to go via the video recorder. There does not seem to be any way of connecting to the back of the Digital box ?:(

12. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2x phono out from the tv to the DAV should carry all audio (inc vcr and NTL).

If the tv doesn't have good audio passthrough, then you need to connect up each item.

TV >DAV
    VCR > DAV
    NTL > DAV

However, as the DAV only has 2 inputs, you would have to choose which one to leave off.

13. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If the NTL box has audio output phonos, you can use them otherwise, you will need a SCART - 2 phono audio lead. Alternatively, if your t.v has audio outputs you can use these. Any of the spare inputs on the DAV-S500 can be used (Video 1 etc). If you run out of inputs, you can use a switch box.

14. cardy

cardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replys.
    The NTL box only has two scarts. I use one to the tv and the other to the video. There is nothing left on the NTL box to plug into to go to the DAV ?
    What i do have is a spare scart on the video.:(

15. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need to connect the NTL box to the DAV.

Take the 2 phono outputs from the back to the tv to the DAV and this will carry the audio for you.