1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attn: Meva, and other impatient Piano fans

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nickane, Mar 19, 2002.

1. nickane

nickane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just noticed the ad at the back of HCC this month from "Total Audio Visual Solutions Ltd" saying that the Piano was "now available - call for details" but no info on site http://www.totalav.co.uk
    Obviously importing from Europe, but just wanted to let you all know in case anybody was daring enough to ring for a quote (I bet you they want £3k for it). My understanding is Plus is still in talks with various dealers who they will allow to stock the Piano, as they will not want to sell their machine through just anyone if they are to maintain their fixed-price policy. I must now decide whether to keep waiting for Plus UK/Rapesco to catch up with the rest of the world or dip into my projector fund so I can live in the states for a couple of months...

2. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Nickane,
    Yes I did spot that. To be honest, the Piano is beginning to seem like old technology now, I've been waiting so long. I think I might make do with my Philips until the Plus HD2 projector arrives ( Sept ? ) which should hopefully be sub 4 grand ( Also Plus may have a U.K distributor by then !!!??? )

3. nickane

nickane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I've all but given up myself. But this new pj sounds interesting. Just did a search on AVS and found nothing, where did you hear about it? I heard Plus had another HT model on the way for the end of this year but I understood it would be kinda hi-end (ie expensive ;) )

4. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you ferret through the ces 2002 posts on avsforum you should find references. All the HD2 projectors should ( hopefully ) be cheaper than the HD1's as the chip is 1/2 the price apparantly. Sub $6000 is the rumour on the Plus version.Fingers crossed !

5. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Interesting,
    http://www.totalav.co.uk/cinema.htm
    2,100 quid including vat.
    1st evidence I've seen that the Piano might actually get a U.K release. I wonder how many more they would have sold if they had got in before the Panny Ae100
    ' by the way , the link on the totalav page should read
    www.plushometheater.com '

6. nickane

nickane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how about that?

I was almost certain this would cost £2500 or even £3000. best case scenario would be it would follow the 3500 Euro and us$3000 price to £2250 (approx.). I imagine the Panny, and how long we've had to wait for the Piano have a lot to do with the fact it is arguably cheaper here than mainland Europe and the US (possibly a world first for any pj, or have they cut prices across the pond too?).

The main gripe is still the low brightness (450 lumens) but I have to say my current pj has only 50 ANSI lumens to show for itself, and my room doesn't have full lighting control and I've never been complaining (I do finish work at 10pm, mind). Brightness of the image is proportional to screen size but my image is 75 inches wide, so I could easily manage 450 lumens spread across 80 inches (which is all my room can handle even with the Piano's short throw ratio).

As for the lack of a zoom lens, I can't afford a fixed screen anyway, and although the whole 848x480 no-scaling-necessary selling point doesn't really work in a PAL country, I haven't heard any complaints from Panny owners.

Sure I could hold out for the HD-2 model, but given how long we've had to wait for the Piano, how long will Plus take to bring us their next offering. Late 2002 us = spring 2003 uk (or at least it looks that way...)

Decisions, decisions...

7. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nickane, sounds like you're in the same position as me. The Piano's faults ( no zoom, 450 lumens etc ,etc ) don't really bother me. The price £2100 has got me tempted again, I can go up to £4500 but I can think of lots of other ways to spend the leftover £2400 if I do plump for a Piano. Decisions , decisions indeed !
    With regard to the HD2 model, if Plus have a U.K distribution network in place for the Piano, the wait probably won't be as long hm.

8. nickane

nickane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aah true.

My understanding is that Rapesco just weren't ready to deal in the HT market, as their business has always been geared towards the Corporate sector, what with this being Plus's 1st HT unit. So, by the time the HD2 model comes out, they should be ready for it. There will still be a bit of a US-UK time lag, though, always is, isn't there? Besides, even 6 mnths will be too long for me. My present pj's bulb is on its last legs, and any money spent on it will come right out of my Piano fund.

I'd be interested to know what kind of scaling this new model offers, as scalers tend to struggle more with interpolation than compression, and 1280x720 offers resolution higher than even PAL anamorphic w/s.

Oh and another thing that doesn't bother me about the Piano is that it doesn't offer progressive scan: don't have prog. DVD player and what with my trip to the states and of course, paying for a new PJ, a new DVD player is not top of my priorities. Besides, its got sil2 on-board, in fact that's probably why PLUS didn't include prog scan, as after shelling out so much on de-interlacing they felt anybody who tried to circumvent the internal processing was just being ungrateful :rolleyes: