Attn Gavan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by paiger, Mar 1, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gavan, I note in another post that you have a Sony HS1. I'm thinking of getting one but was wondering what the noise level on it was. I have used a Sony CS4 (I think) that cost about £1500 and it was very noisy although obviouly aimed squarely at data. Does the HS1 have the same variable fan speed feature of the high end LCD's? Can you hear it during quiet bits? Finally, would you recommend it having lived with it for a bit.

Thanks in advance

Steve

2. jsmith22

jsmith22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not Gavan (obviously...) but can comment on the HS1. I'm very happy with mine and it is VERY quiet. Picture from DVD is great. Its a bit of a hassle to have to buy a lead to plug your PC into it (if you want to do that) but I just use S-video from my DVD player or DV camcorder and it's great.

regards

James

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments James. Much appreciated.

S

4. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    The noise level is to my ears, extremely low. Almost as important, the _pitch_ of the noise is quite low too and therefore less annoying/intrusive than the high speed fan whine that I've heard on some portable data projectors. I haven't heard the unit you mention but I think I know the general sound that many data-oriented projectors have and the HS1 definitely doesn't sound anything like that.

Theres no way to manually vary fanspeed, but I suspect that some variation is being done by the unit. Theres a 'boosted' sound from the fans at power on/off time.

I currently sit right next to the HS1 when viewing (my head is about 60cm away from the unit) and noise is absolutely not a problem except maybe during really quiet dialogue scenes.

I'd certainly recommend it. The lack of flexibility in mounting options was my biggest gripe but I see in another post here that it IS possible to ceiling mount the unit.

Some might find the 4:3 panel to be a drawback but a lot of TV programming is still 4:3 and so are most videogames so depending on your usage it might even be an advantage. In any case, widescreen ratios (ie: letterboxed on the screen) look damn good and very detailed.

I haven't seen the AE100 which is getting so much hype in the groups and forums at the moment but I do notice that some have complained about the scaling/deinterlacing and 'screendoor' effect on it. I can't say I have any problems like that with the HS1 - the picture looks detailed and natural without being pixellated, and I don't see 'screendoor' at all at my viewing distance of 2x screen width.

Gav