ATTN DENON AND MARANTZ OWNERS: No network functionality for HEOS users on network receivers! Temporary fix here.

alkax

Established Member
Reaction score
EDIT: This is probably going to be an issue in the coming months for anyone using HEOS as in some cases all network activity will be killed off when you use the HEOS app when it prompts you to update. That means no WiFi, no Bluetooth and no Ethernet. Diagnostics will show a failure in router access and your IP will show as 0.0.0.0.

Denon/Marantz now seems to acknowledge this as a problem and has issued the following advice:

My advice is to save your settings to a usb stick and NOT update HEOS via the app.

Many thanks to psycho063 for finding the page.

My original post below:

Hi all,

For the past 3 months I've been experiencing something absolutely irritating and infuriating.

I have (now had) a Marantz 7012 receiver for about a year and have had no problems playing FLAC through HEOS via my Serviio setup on my HP Microserver.

I absolutely love Marantz for the musicality but around 3 months ago, the HEOS app on my OnePlus 5 prompts to update software and while I obliged and let it update, something changed.

Where before it wouldn't have a problem allowing me to generate a random playlist, now I might be able to generate one but after a few songs, it literally kills all network connectivity. WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet is all dead, diagnostics show an error. I can't connect on any of those network options at all. The unit has to be sent back to be serviced, but because they can't identify what's wrong with it, I get the same issue on it's return. Sound United doesn't think there's anything wrong, that it can't be the HEOS app, but must be a faulty network controller.

This has happened every time I've received my amp back from service, and now that it's happened for a third time under warranty, I will get a credit note for a new amp.

Thing is, HEOS has given me such a bad experience, I'm reluctant to go back to Denon/Marantz just in case I suffer the same issues 9 months down the line.

I'm not enthused about Onkyo or Pioneer so the only other option in looking at is Yamaha, but their current range is long in the tooth.

Am I being paranoid about HEOS? Has anyone experienced anything close to this?

Last edited:
You are not being paranoid. Denon/Marantz screwed up royally with their firmware. My Maranz NR1608 also had its network killed and I have managed to restore it by downgrading the firmware. I have found the instructions on this page (info in the left nav): Find Answers

The problem is that they haven't resolved the issue yet. I was seriously annoyed, especially considering that my warranty was valid for a few weeks. So I wanted to try to reflash it and it was also painfully hard to find any information on this (EU fw) In the end I stumbled on it almost by mistake.

Wow. Sound United, who handles everything support based, kept telling me it was nothing to do with the app and that it was probably hardware related. They were denying that HEOS was the problem even though I told them that HEOS was running fine until the update. I even asked them direct if there was a way to reverse back to previous firmware and they flat out told me to send it back!

Peter Tyson took the amp back as three same faults within the warranty period count as an instant return and scrap, and I've put some extra money on top for a Denon x4700h. I'm hoping this issue isn't system wide over Denon's range too.

Perhaps moderators should pin this somewhere because no doubt, there is going to be a bunch of frustrated Marantz owners sending their units back for no reason.

Turns out, this is also an issue with Denon receivers too:

This should definitely be a pinned thread for Denon and Marantz owners.

Indeed but there is a fix which reverts it back to factory firmware.

I did this and did an update and its fine!

This should not be necessary but once you know

Indeed but there is a fix which reverts it back to factory firmware.

I did this and did an update and its fine!

This should not be necessary but once you know

It's annoying if not only the service department at the store you bought it from didn't know about this fix but Sound United won't tell you.

I sent mine back twice and they reverted the firmware each time. As I use HEOS to access my FLAC collection off Serviio, it'll get a tad annoying when it kills the connection every time you want to hear music. HEOS is currently broken, so at the very least, I'd recommended not updating HEOS when it prompts you through the app.

Yep, turn auto update OFF!!!!

I just received my new Denon 4500 a couple of days ago and installed HEOS on an IPad which then seemed to trigger a software update on the Denon.
All is working fine at the moment and assuming I must now have the latest updates I don’t know whether I should be worried or not.

I just received my new Denon 4500 a couple of days ago and installed HEOS on an IPad which then seemed to trigger a software update on the Denon.
All is working fine at the moment and assuming I must now have the latest updates I don’t know whether I should be worried or not.

If anything happens, just refer back here. It would be a good idea to backup your settings to a spare usb too just in case. You don't want to faff around setting it all up again.

Turns out, this is also an issue with Denon receivers too:

This should definitely be a pinned thread for Denon and Marantz owners.
I've made it a sticky until a solution is found.

Cheers. I don't want others to go through the experience I had.

If anything happens, just refer back here. It would be a good idea to backup your settings to a spare usb too just in case. You don't want to faff around setting it all up again

Nope, any backup you make will be fudgeed! It will not recognise the backup

What the fuuuu......
Yep, that's the situation I had.

Once I'd got over the panic for not having to send it away. Reverted the firmware..Few!

Brought out my trusty backup and......nothing, nada, ziltch!

Yep, that's the situation I had.

Once I'd got over the panic for not having to send it away. Reverted the firmware..Few!

Brought out my trusty backup and......nothing, nada, ziltch!

Just curious, the first time this happened I tried to attempt a backup of the settings and it wouldn't let me. I assumed the upgrade killed the usb too. Have you tested your USB port to see if it's generally working?

Yep, all good!

I have been exploring my new Marantz SR6104 (yes, I managed to find one!) and this issue happened to me - all of a sudden I couldn't stream any music either with HEOS or Airplay (not sure if complete network access was screwed up or not). I managed to get things working again just by doing a soft-reset of the receiver (holding down the power button when you turn on until it resets itself). However, it has happened twice now (reset worked again though).

I am wondering if this full 'workaround solution' of resetting to factory firmware (then presumably upgrading again?) actually stops this issue from happening again? Or it's anyone's guess at this stage?

Hopefully they will release a firmware update soon that will permanently fix this (without breaking anything else!)

PK

The only fix is to revert to earlier firmware!

Optional is to turn off updates, I updated to latest available and was OK though I run a Marantz

Ok, I got my Denon x4700h in. I upgraded the firmware to the latest version and tried to run HEOS and generate a random playlist via Serviio. Guess what?

Killed the network connection!

This is going to be an ongoing issue until Denon/Marantz finally figures this out... In the meantime, I'm going to revert the firmware and try via WiFi and my iPad and see if that makes a difference.

It may be helpful to screen shot the about page on the app if you have experienced the network failing and list the model, method of connection and the DLNA server you are using if your network has been killed off.

I'll start:
Model: Denon X4700H
Method: Ethernet
Server: Serviio V2.1

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200728-192134__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20200728-192134__01.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 592
An update:

I reset the firmware, updated it and used my iPad to play a random playlist from Serviio whilst the amp was connected via WiFi.

It still killed my network capabilities.

I'm going to reset the firmware, uninstall Serviio.

Can anyone recommend a good free DLNA server that works with HEOS? I'm looking at Plex, but I'm open to more efficient solutions.

Is it ok to update to the latest available firmware using the menu on the AVR (4500H in my case), I checked a few minutes ago and noticed new firmware is listed but have not yet done the update?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom