Attitudes to vegan food

sick of it all

Ex Member
Reaction score
Veganism has become a massive trend recently and many vegan based foods have become available and easily accessible. Personally, I don't have a problem with meat substitutes but I also like alternatives such as tofu and seitan. I know some people can't understand the reasoning behind vegan 'meat' but I have no problem with it.
Which is your favourite and why?

The last posts in here before yours were in January and before that August. So, not many.

I moderate both, I've finished checking Covid and Brexit, Food and drink were next on my list. Your posts were the only ones that needed schecking in here and as one of them was a question I answered it, as it's extremely unlikely that anyone else will be along for a while. But I did wonder whether it would feel like I was stalking you :)

Well it did feel a bit like that to be honest :)
Shame that there isn't more veggies/vegans here but it's just one forum out of many and I'm liking the variation :lesson:

Not a vegan/veggie but Mrs is and therefore that puts me into the flexitarian I guess (though don't like the term).

Burgers is what she missed the most and is a particular fan of the Beyond Meat option which is a modified pea protein I believe. Had their sausage too and its good... not sure we've seen their mince product in the UK.

A local hotdog joint does a great vegan frankfurter... you'd really struggle to tell the difference between the meat and vegan sausage, but they won't say where they're from which was annoying when they closed in Lockdown 1 and didn't reopen until November or so.

She's liked the Hail Seitan chicken substitute but hates the name

Tried McDonald’s McPlant/Beyond Meat cheese burger at the weekend and thought it was awesome. 🍔 👍🏻

The following plant-based foods also get my seal of approval:
Co-op’s Incredible burger,
Richmond’s sausages,
KFC’s Vegan burger.

Last edited:
Tried McDonald’s McPlant/Beyond Meat cheese burger at the weekend and thought it was awesome. 🍔 👍🏻

The following plant-based foods also get my seal of approval:
Co-op’s Incredible burger,
Richmond’s sausages,
KFC’s Vegan burger.
I'm not sure I fully trust McDonalds to give me a non meat burger, similar reason I haven't yet tried a Dominos vegan pizza.

I recently tried the Starbucks Beyond Meat breakfast burger and we really enjoy those, pre-packaged so I know what I'm getting.

Regular buys for us in our shopping are from the Vegetarian Butcher on Ocado, Magic Mince and What The Cluck chicken style pieces.

Quorn Salt and Vinegar fishless fillets are great in a roll.

What I really miss is Gardein fishless fillets, no longer available in the UK, Sainsburys used to stock them but no longer. Best alternative fish I've ever had. golden fishless filet | Gardein

The mention of frankfurter earlier reminds me of the sausageman site who do vegan bratwurst, meaning to try them at some point Vegan Archives

McPlant is cooked on the same grill as the regular burgers, just like BK. lol

Not all vegetarians have an issue with it.
Some are happy to eat alongside us carnivores and even have the food cooked together.
But I do think it would be sensible if the information was out there so people knew.

I've just eaten something called Oumph! Sticky Smokehouse Oumph. It was bought by mistake from Iceland I I thought it was a meat product. The photo shows juicy Rib style food.
The reality is that I've no idea what I've just eaten. The texture is horrible. There's zero taste.
If was was a herbivore then this type of food would turn me into a carnivore.
Thankfully I don't need turning as I'm already carnivorous.
If the anti meat lobby hope to turn people off meat then they've got a long way to go.
I've got a second packet in the freezer. I couldn't possibly inflict this on anyone else. Or myself.

So you’ve never ever had a bad meat product @mark6226 ?

Not a veggie and never had this product but a touch harsh to judge all meat substitute products by a single random accidental purchase from Iceland.

Certainly in my view there are some good meat substitutes but like all highly processed foods you have to pick carefully

I like quorn sausages, they are ok. Other veggie stuff I've had isn't that nice.

znrB12.gif

As a non vegan I do try various vegan foods and one that I really liked was the Costa vegan sausage bap. It was healthier than the poerk version and tasted great but they have stopped it as far as I can tell. I was wondering if it was related to the reduction in companies making vegan products such as sausages, etc. (Heck, for example).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom