1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attenuators ... again

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by sounddog, Feb 4, 2003.

1. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Okay ... thanks to everyone's comments re attenuators a short while ago.

As a final thought on the subject ... which is likely to be the best ... pair of Rothwell In-Line Attenuators (£40) plus my existing QED Quinnex II interconnect or a KIMBER Tonik interconnect with inbuilt attenuator (£61 for 1m)? The third alternative is that Keene Electronics sell phono in-line attenuators at £8 each ... are these likely to be significantly worse quality than the Rothwell ones?

One advantage of the KIMBER interconnects is that I can get a 14dB version whereas the Rothwell are only 10dB and the Keene are upto 12dB.

Anyway ... enough rambling ... does anyone have any comments. Oh ... I'll be using them between an Arcam DV88 (doing CD duties) and a Rotel RA1060 amp.

Victoria

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hi Victoria.....undoubtedly the Kimber is best...no question,and if you really want to find a difference,go up to the PBJ cable....it's still nicely priced,and a very good quality cable....I've used 5m runs of this on 2 of my power amps for some time now. :clap:

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I would go with the Kimber as best (also on a great cable by the way) but the rothwell are so convenient. Russ Andrews always has a few of these 'secondhand' for sale at about 25% discount in the shop if you want to save a few pennies, they are always graded by RA (and checked) but look newish to me. worth asking about.

4. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Victoria

I use a 0.5m 14dB attenuated Kimber PBJ interconnect between CD and amp and I'm well chuffed with it.

I feel you'd be better off with a dedicated lead than an in-line attenuator - there's one less contact in the signal chain.

5. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just noticed this thread re attenuaters and kimber etc

i was using qed quenex 1 between cd (nad540) and 3802 av and purchased the dnm r2 bullit plug i/c at £75 to tell the truth could not hear any benifit over qed .

so i had a chat with r.a. re kimber tonic cable, turns out guy i spoke to has (nad540 cd +newish model nad amp) and stated kimber was good choice, mentioning i had "dnm bplug i/c he thought said cable was (s**T) and way overpriced.

he also asked me "impedance etc of my 3802, quick grab of manual to supply info" tonik 14 db is the one to suite my gear.

anyway i have ordered the kimber tonic 14db 1 meter i/c at £61 should recieve this in about 6 days,

as ra give you the option of returning within 30 days, should be interesting thing to try.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    That sounds interesting, you will have to post a report on how it sounds when it arrives :)

Steff

7. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    steff will post when i recieve ra tonic cable, on a slightly differant note, i got qed quenix 1 (thrown in when i bought nad 540 cd player, the cable was loose ,not in packaging)

whent out yesterday and purchased 2 more qed1 so i can try with rotel 985, "which i hope will arrive today" and noticed for the first time that qed is a (directional cable) which i had not noticed before, as i have used the "original " qed before purchase of dnm r2, and tried with at the time (cyrus7)

good chance i could have had cable going in "wrong direction" have no idea if this would make any significant differance though.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Try it in both directions and see what sounds best ... I've read of some people swearing blind that it sounds better if you run cables "backwards" ... to be honest I've never managed to be convinced that (scientifically) it CAN make a difference.

Vikki