Attenuator issue

steve stacey

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi again

Have hooked up Manhattan T3-R to our ancient (Freeview SD only) Panasonic TV. Everything hunky dory, including On Demand apps.

We had a new external aerial fitted a few weeks ago, and the combo of this and pvr amplifying signal means now too strong for TV tuner. Ie can watch TV via pvr and record with no problem. Issue presents when you record something with pvr and switch to tv tuner to watch another channel. Signal strength solid 10/10, but quality drops and picture pixelates.

Bought attenuator, and this solves above problem. Only worry is that I have to connect to coax going into pvr. (Ie prior to signal amplification) You’ll see from photo that barely enough room, with pressure on coax sockets at rear of pvr. I was hoping I could connect attenuator to loop through coax as it goes into tv, but that doesn’t seem to work. (Guess signal must be too strong at that point, despite twiddling the attenuator)

Seems like a bit of a design fault. Has anyone else resolved this issue? (Couldn’t see any smaller attenuators available

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• 7701C55D-3EA2-4D1B-B455-6C194B23FB3F.jpeg
    7701C55D-3EA2-4D1B-B455-6C194B23FB3F.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 81
Sorry. Guess I’ll have to try a set of the narrow in “line ones” to see what’s best. A shame as you can obviously calibrate the variable ones more accurately.

Ta

Connecting the attenuator as you have in that photo will be potentially damaging to the PVR's coax sockets so I would remove it immediately.

Connecting the attenuator to the PVR via a short coax fly-lead should solve your problem :)

Thanks. The blue coax in the picture is the one coming from external aerial. RU suggesting a connect this to the attenuator, but then another coax from attenuator to back of pvr? (Thought connecting to loop through coax as it goes into tv would work, but no joy)

The blue coax in the picture is the one coming from external aerial. RU suggesting a connect this to the attenuator, but then another coax from attenuator to back of pvr?

Yes :smashin:

How much attenuation is needed? Max, min, half-way??? A 2-way splitter will reduce by 4dB the signal to both the PVR and TV and allow 'power saving in standby'/'eco' settings.
You'd need a barrel joiner to connect the aerial to an input then two male to male to the TV and PVR for most UK splitters e.g. Splitter - internal 2 way CoAx type - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials

I don't like / trust variable attenuators for long term use (variable resistors are never fully sealed and the track-to-wiper contact may corrode over time).

But any attenuator or filter or splitter should always be connected by fly lead type cables rather than plugged in directly to save 'straining' the receiver tuner connections (which are often enough quite flimsy).

PS Approximate location and what aerial was installed? Was there any amplification involved. Overload is pretty rare with an aerial alone!

Good afternoon

I don’t think it’s “the aerial alone”. That’s why I mentioned the perfect storm of new roof aerial, pvr and old (budget) Panasonic tv. We are in pretty good position. (high up overlooking big city, no need for amplifier) However, signal is already split in loft to supply tv in bedroom. I think meter was showing about 55db to the tv in question when aerial installer was here.

Sorry, don’t know exactly type of aerial fitted.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom