1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attention owners of PIONEER 868i DVD and PDP504HDE plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MJeeves, Jun 24, 2004.

1. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I'm looking at getting the PIONEER 868i DVD Player and PDP 504 HDE 50" Plasma (combination) in the next two months. Please post your thoughts on the combinations picture quality, sound, performance, reliability, tweaks, improvements etc etc.

Thanks for your assistance!

Kind regards,

Martin.

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I'm sure if you search on the subject you will find plenty of posts covering people's opinions of this combo. If you search specifically around december-february i'm sure there were two long posts - one questioning whether the wait for HDMI was actually worth all the fuss, and the other general feedback etc on the plasma.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Just searched for search term "Pioneer", search thread titles only, posts from last six months, plasma forum only. Loads of good threads to read.

HTH

4. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Thanks Liam. I'll do that.

I was also wondering if anyone had any 'fresh' opinions as there have been other products since this combi and a few months have passed.

Anyone?

Thanks again,

Martin.

5. BKATZ

BKATZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I have the 868/vsx-av5/504 combo & am very happy (I did look at everything else at the time)Tv tuner needs to be digital as the difference is marked.(though I know some people can only get analogue!)

Regards,

B.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't favour the combination myself, but for a DIY setup it takes some beating. Certainly, the HDE plasma is well partnered with an HDMI pioneer player, but IMHO not the best picture for the money. But if it's an analogue tuner and a a cool piano black plasma you must have, then stuff the trivialities and go for it.

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I have a 504HDE partnered with a Arcam DV79 (connected via HDMI). The Arcam is similar in price to the Pioneer and is a good alternative - picture performance is on par to the 868i but the Arcam probably wins on the sound side.

The Plasma is great imho. I know there are some issues with it if you intend to use scalers etc but it offers one of the best DVD pictures I have seen on a plasma. I have tried the Arcam via component and the HDMI picture is better.

Sky is not bad either - the football today was more than decent.

If you intend to use a scaler then dont buy it - get the Panny or Pioneer MXE1. However if like me you just wanted plug and play its the best hi def plasma out there atm (again imo of course)