ATTENTION G20 owners with a SKY HD box, help required!!

Wildkarrde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Looking for a little input from any of you G20 owners with a SKY HD box. Recently purchased a G20 and looking at the threads on here i began to 'run' in my TV on THX mode.
Low and behold i got a line down my screen which i automatically assumed was a panel fault.
Got my panel replaced and same fault is still there. See here :-

P1010754.jpg

Blue line runs down the right hand side of the panel.
This line only appears when watching in THX mode. Change to any of the other settings and the line dissapears.
When THX mode is selected the picture shrinks in. Could this be a reason?
Is THX mode only to be used when viewing Blu Rays?
Has any one else experienced this?

I'd appreciate if any of you will try this and let me know how you get on.

Not getting that on mine mate.:confused:

Is it just with the SKY HD Box?

Not getting that on mine mate.:confused:

Is it just with the SKY HD Box?

Yes, tried it with DVB and no sign of a blue line.

Will try a Blu Ray later and see if thats the same.

In your settings on your SKY HD box set the aspect ratio to 4.3L

Sorry mate but i never had that either from my sky hd, have a samsung box.

+1 , another G20 and Sky HD owner with no sign of any line regardless of resolution setting. I'm getting paranoid, no buzzing, no lines, no posterization.....:)

Hi Wildkarrde,

THX mode has overscan turned "off" by default.

Try this:

Menu - Setup - Other Settings, and then turn 16:9 overscan to "on"

Picture will zoom in bit and you should lose the blue line.

Hope this helps.

Mark

I think its a SKY Bug across the range and those who are having problems 4.3L should sort it.

Thanks for the reply lads.

The 4:3 soloution doesn't work. What that does is turn the blue edges on BOTH sides black. My problem lies on the right hand side not BOTH.

My box is a Pace.

I actually work in TV retailing and i tried the G20, VT20 and GT20 in the showroom. None show the fault i have. The box in here is a Thomson.
Going to have to bring it it to our workshop to try it in here as our Tv engineers are completeley baffled :confused:

Cheers

The 4:3 soloution doesn't work. What that does is turn the blue edges on BOTH sides black. My problem lies on the right hand side not BOTH.

My box is a Pace.

I actually work in TV retailing and i tried the G20, VT20 and GT20 in the showroom. None show the fault i have. The box in here is a Thomson.
Going to have to bring it it to our workshop to try it in here as our Tv engineers are completeley baffled :confused:

Cheers

Sorry to hear that mate is there any chance of trying a different box as the PSU on the Thomson is notorious for showing all sorts of problems.

My box is a Pace.

Cheers

The solution which tele gave you usually works with Thomson boxes but I have heard people say before it does not work with Pace :(

I had the issue about a year ago with my Thomson box & the 4:3L fixed it, I then swapped to Samsung box & these do not have the problem.

Sorry to hear that mate is there any chance of trying a different box as the PSU on the Thomson is notorious for showing all sorts of problems.

Only boxes i can try is my own Pace and my shops Thomson, the shop model has had the PSU caps changed and works ok now

The solution which tele gave you usually works with Thomson boxes but I have heard people say before it does not work with Pace :(

I had the issue about a year ago with my Thomson box & the 4:3L fixed it, I then swapped to Samsung box & these do not have the problem.

The solution does work but not for the issue i have.

Have you spoke to sky about the issue?

Dealing with SKY is almost impossible giving my day to day dealings with them. I suppose i could ask for a Samsung box as thay seem to be better(according to posts).

I am going to bring my panel into our workshop and run it in here. That way i can see if another box affects it just the same.

Thanks for taking time to reply with ideas guys :smashin:

Have you spoke to sky about the issue?

:D the phrase "banging your head against a brick wall" comes to mind when talking to sky about any issues :laugh: They just deny any knowledge of a problem... I wonder if they share the same call centre as Panasonic? ;)

If you contact SKY cancelations and ask if you can have a new replacement box as you have been a good customer for x amount of years, and if they cant do this you may have consider going to Virgin instead, i think you will find they will become very helpful.;)

PS
Make sure it is a new box not a refurb.

Hi Wildkarrde,

Try this:

Hope this helps.

Mark

Kudos to you my friend :smashin:
After a weekend of monkeying about with my tv and SKY boxes this tip(which i overlooked :blush:) resolved the problem.

Thanks to all who contibuted. Will leave this on for a day or 2 then expire incase anyone else has the same problem.

CHeers

Hi Wildkarrde,

Try this:

Hope this helps.

Mark

Hi,this worked for me, thank goodness for av forums and all who contribute Ive an amstrad hd box and had this problem on my g20 only had this set about 3 weeks to replace faulty lcd. thanks again. chris.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom