Attention all steering wheel users..

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by PND, Feb 5, 2002.

1. PND

PND
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I've got your attention!..

I am looking for some advice re: buying a steering wheel to use with WRC and GTA3 on the PS2..

What do you all think is the besy buy... please include good/bad points and experiences to justify your choice.

Thank you everyone in advance..

Submit your answers.... NOW!

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I have heard that GTA3 becomes awkward with a steering wheel as you have to spend a fair bit of time out of cars as well as in: don't like the idea of going on a pedestrian sniping spree with a steering wheel!

3. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I ran a bit of an experiment on this subject with a PS1 and a DC. Every single game I could think of to use a wheel with, MSR, F355, GTA2, GT, GT2 and a load of others - myself and a friend put in faster times with a pad. No exceptions, it only got even slightly close with F355 on DC.

I say don't bother, save your money and use official joypads only.

4. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I have the official jordan one - which works well, but is not force-feedback. I had a go at the UK games show last year in London on the offical GT3 wheel - my god was it good or what. My advice, spend a little bit extra and go for one with force feedback - oh and dont worry about GT3a .. no need for a wheel ..

cheers,

Nige

5. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've had a huge stint on GT3 now as well. With a wheel I was slower. Same for 3 mates. It was quite close - but I got fast laps with a pad atraight away, wheel took ages to put a respectable time in. I honestly cannot see the merit, you end up with an expensive device, that takes up lots of storage space, offers no advantages IMHO and needs extremely careful and secure positioning to use well.

Get pads - you'll play better. This is coming from a true petrol head. I sweat 20/50 man.

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,053
    pad = faster lap time

logitec force feedback wheel = slower lap times but faster heart rate.

Wheel is much more fun if you can clamp it somewhere convenient. but it depends if you're a time trial nutter trying to shave 100th's off your time. You can still do that with the wheel, but your mates may have faster times.

7. Mr_B

Mr_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be warned though - WRC is not fully compatible with the GT Force wheel as the paddles and buttons don't work. This is despite it saying it is ok on the box and also being shown on the WRC challenge leaflet. They never tested it apparently.

GT3 is more fun but you need to be a better driver as it makes it more of a simulation. It will feel slower though and the wheel to wheel lock seems a little long.

F12001 is ok but you can't use the paddles. A poor show for Sony quality control.