Attention all format fanboys

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Ian J, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Considering that high definition is only a small part of AV the moderators have to spend a disproportionate amount of time refereeing arguments between idiots that are only interested in promoting the particular format that they have bought into and this is now going to stop.

WE have tried a number of different methods to cut out the fanboys by deleting their threads or transferring them to sleepier corners and by issuing short term posting suspensions but nothing seems to have worked and the same half a dozen people continue to spoil it for everyone eelse.

From now onwards for a short peoriod we are going to try out a new zero tolerance policy and if the idiots want to take threads off topic, promote format arguments or generally act as half witted fanboys they will receive a permanent ban from AV Forums.

Hopefully once the idiots have gone we will have fewer of the "my willy is better than your willy" type posts

2. zz101

zz101
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I think you'll find those that promote themselves as format 'nuetral' are the worst offenders.

Whats interesting is that moderating HD related posts seems to be more problematic than religion or politics. :D

Anyway I'm sure we'll all welcome this as the change of rules in the HD player forum is working well IMO.

3. ISEEDUMBPEOPLE

ISEEDUMBPEOPLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Bigger, not better.

4. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    I was going to say the same thing. :D

5. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    Ian, didn't you want to keep this as a sticky for a couple of weeks?

Steve W

6. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

Less "problematic" now that you're banned for a week. :rotfl:

7. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    The only grey area here is how the mods differentiate between discussion of the format war and its current state, which is healthy for the forum and deliberately provocative "fanboyism".

8. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    I welcome this :smashin:, but must admit i can say the wrong thing at times like a lot of us, and i hate the idea that when posting a comment that i think is ok, it is taken the wrong way............... well spose we will soon find out...... :rolleyes:

EDIT> How far should we go ? Should we be removing 'fanboy' type avitars and comments from our signatures aswell in order to calm things or are they not classed as prevoking ??

9. Fen Star

Fen Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    This is the sort of attitude i believe they are trying to stop, because all it does is cause an argument when the person involved comes back...:thumbsdow

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,405
    This is a very good point. I used to have "Dual Owner" listed in my sig along with my players but decided to remove it because I felt it might upset/annoy people with just one format. But generally I don't think sensible signatures cause any problems - but those that link to promotional sites should definetly be banned IMHO. As for avatars...I don't know. Having a BD/HD logo for your avatar..I think it's a little OTT but maybe others feel differently

11. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    How do we tell, my sig has just slowly developed, my 'keeping it blu' quote is just mean't to be that, that is the position i am in.... but looking at it it may be taken the wrong way ?? i may go dual with a dual player if the right one comes along then it would change.... What do you reckon ??

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,405
    IMHO your sigs fine - nobody is going to get upset by it - I was referring to those who link to advertising/promotional sites or by listing sales figures etc. In short people who use their sig to have a dig in every single post.

13. sore napper

sore napper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    I only pop into the HD Area once in awhile to try and keep on top of the subject.

I very seldom post in it.

I must admit that it sickens me when I start to read a thread that interests me and it ends up turning into a format war. It has stopped me from even coming in here.

A permanent ban :rolleyes:

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,405
    Actually I was just trying to make a general point...

15. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    :thumbsup:...........

As for other posts...... God, some people :nono:

16. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    I do think they need tackling aswell though, they do tend to wind us up at times, wouldn't a HD-DVD promotion group sign up signature wind you up a bit ??

but as said before.... how far do you go ?? (not you personally)

17. FOXCLOSE

FOXCLOSE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    We have deep feeling for our format of choice, or the format we first invested in, that's why the fanboyism exists.

I propose a breakaway little section forum of its own away from the AV related topics so we can have our little smackdown! No moderators and limited rules, should be fun! :D
    Call it: Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD and hopefully both this section HD Movies and High Definition Player section can be at least free-er of Fanboysim!

18. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    :D I think that would have to have an 18 cert :rolleyes:

EDIT> as for Free-er, i think you are darn spot on, we all tend to need a rant on occasions and it can't be helped..........

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,405
    Remember the 'Ignore' feature - easily accessed by left clicking on a persons name in their post, select 'View Public Profile' and then click the 'Add ... to your ignore list' option near the top right of the screen. Admittedly though when threads go OT useful comments do tend to stop :rolleyes:

20. adrianwright

adrianwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I think that this Zero Tolerance policy is long overdue.

I have both formats and do not love either BD or HD DVD, I just love Movies.

As I have mentioned on the AV Forums in the past, you only have to take a look over on the AVS Forums to see what happens when Fanboys run rampant.

From an outsiders point of view looking at investing in either of the HD Formats and coming to somewhere like the AV Forums for some advice, some of the mud slinging can be quite offputting.

Lets hope this all now calms down, and we can all get back to watching and owning Movies in HD, regardless of their Native Format.

21. chelsea.tone

chelsea.tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    Actually no it wouldnt, as i believe everyone has their choice, and i believe in freedom of speech (used to mean something in this country)

Tony

22. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    I think Foxclose' 'War Thread' type idea was/is still the best option, somewhere to burst/let go and get your points across, an outright ban may loose some generally ok people imho

23. sore napper

sore napper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    I knew that there was an Ignore Feature, but I didn't know that if used it would remove that persons post from the thread you where reading.

Is that right?

I thought it just stopped people from posting in a thread that you created or from PMing you. It would be good for things like that, but if reading someone elses thread you might get a little lost if there was a post or two missing, but I guest that even at that you wouldn't be missing much.

24. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,753
    Unfortunately this is long overdue. But hopefully the majority of users will welcome this zero tolerance policy. I have lost count of the number of threads I have had to close due to the fanboys getting involved and ruining it for the sensible among us.

How people fail to have an adult discussion about differing formats on DVD without resorting to petty bickering, pisstaking is beyond me.

There are a small number of culprits who will hopefully heed this warning. You know who you are, we know who you are, so lets just have good discussions about HD Movies. :thumbsup:

25. Craigy

Craigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +872
    Why though?, you say you invested in a format of your choice, by you posting on a forum will influence all the movie studios to side with your view and all the member of these forums?

I have read your posts and I own a PS3 with 10 movies, Letters from Iwo Jima being a great movie with a great picture, Alpha Dog being a very good movie with a terrible picture, on HD DVD I have some greats, Matrix, great movie and picture, Bourne Identity great movie, terrbile picture.

You just come across as silly mate, and enough to turn me off the blu-ray format, thats right, you being a supporter and the way your views come across have made me dislike blu-ray to a certain extent.

I dont even know know why I bothered typing that to be honest, nobody can talk to someone like you.

And this is bloody films we are talking about!!!!!

26. Adam_uk

Adam_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I totally disagree.

What a silly idea, if people feel the need to vent I suggest they open a word document and type. When they are done either save or delete it. Spare the rest of us the pain and the mod the need to delete it.

I welcome this move it's long overdue. Certian members of this forum in the HD section feel the need to have a dig with every post and post there opinions/ rumours as fact.

There is nothing I have hated more on here than some of the fan boys who deride other people for buying into the other format.

Hopefully this firm action will nip it in the bud.

27. sore napper

sore napper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    I know that this is a warning thread for fanboys and that this might be a little of topic, but does Bourne Identity really have a terrible picture? AV Review gives it a really high score. Demo material. I'm just interested as I would one day consider it high on my HD List of movies to buy. What format was it?

28. Craigy

Craigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +872

haha, well I love the trilogy but the transfer had me baffled at seeing which bits were HD, I cant quite explain it better, maybe when neo lights were around the picture looked better but other than that no real noticable upgrade from standard.

Supremacy was a terrific picture though, in my opinion.

29. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That quote is in the running for the daft comment of the week award. Your choosing one format over the other is no different to choosing a Rel subwoofer over a B&W or a Sony projector over a Philips as none of the choices that you make in buying your AV equipment give you the right to post on AV Forums as if you were a half witted troll.

It would seem from the "thanks" that many of the worst offenders don't see themselves as causing problems so I will be quite blunt FOXCLOSE and warn you that you are one of the worst culprits and almost all of the mods connected with HD hardware or software monitor all of your posts very carefully. You could start showing that you intend to respect the forum's wishes by removing your avatar which I assume is only there to annoy others.

I think that's an excellent idea and suggest that one of the newsgroups would be a suitable place to host your antics as they aren't moderated or indeed read by many people so you can rant and rave to your hearts content without annoying anyone.

30. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,252
    To an extent I can understand why people do this. They're investing an awful lot of money in one or the other and if that format goes down it's been a very expensive mistake. That said it is incredible how some can post almost anything as a positive point for one format and a bad one for the other. I've dabbled in both Blu-Ray and HD DVD and found them both wanting. If I ever find my perfect player I'll be over the moon and let everyone know on these pages but I won't snipe at the other format supporters.

Cheers
    Bri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.