Attempted Military Coup - Turkey

robel

jdevil

Distinguished Member
About time to get rid of the biggest isis supporter, his been well protected by the west but it's people are getting sick and tired now. This is fantastic news for Syria, Russia & Iran.

pandemic

Not sure if it's an attempt now or if they've been successful in taking control. Differing stories coming in, but I think it's a complete takeover. Seems the military want to restore democratic rights that have been eroded under the current regime.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Real show of force from the military

Sky News live:

pandemic

Advice for travellers from the foreign office:

Naqv

About time.
I hope you're joking. You have defined everything wrong with western policy for the last 100 years. Supporting military dictatorships over democratic institutions (whatever level at) will not and has not worked for the last 100 years. This is the primary reason for terrorism since the 60s!
Do you think the majority of people that voted for Ergodan are magically going to start supporting military?
And then there are the same people cheering on the military who ask why democracy has not allowed to developed in the Islamic world. If has never been allowed to develop and mature. It has always been hindered at the elemental level.
Yes, it's not perfect in Turkey, but they have be allowed to mature and develop within the confinement of their own culture.
Others above state Turkey is the biggest supporter of ISIS. Then explain all of the suicide bombings that have been carried out by ISIS (and Kurdish separatists).

Mind boggling attitudes!

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
More and more mentions of gunfire from tanks and helicopters

pandemic

@Naqv the current regime have been arresting journalists and people who openly oppose the government. Turkey was at one point a decent secular democracy, recently it's been going down a dodgy path. Hopefully, this all ends well.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Who exactly are behind the coup?

I see people here saying about time since the Turkish support ISIS, but elsewhere I'm reading that it's an extremist Islamic group who are behind it.

RiceRocket

Seems to be the Army but excluding the top ranks like generals some of whom are reportedly hostages.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Who exactly are behind the coup?

I see people here saying about time since the Turkish support ISIS, but elsewhere I'm reading that it's an extremist Islamic group who are behind it.
Not really known as far as I've seen. I saw somewhere that the military leader had been captured and the air force and land force leaders were part of it

RiceRocket

The President seems to be either in a hotel room or private jet seeking asylum which Germany has refused.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
The President seems to be either in a hotel room or private jet seeking asylum which Germany has refused.
He was reportedly on holiday

[email protected]

If you want to go back a hundred years as you're want to do then how about the 1.5 million Armenians that Turkey killed. Western policy is seriously screwed as long as we ever considered Turkey as a member. Human rights in Turkey are and have always been appalling and Erdogans attitude is equally so. Grow up.

pandemic

Doesn't look good if reports from AP news are true:
BREAKING: 17 Turkish officers reportedly killed in helicopter attack on police special forces headquarters on outskirts of Ankara.

RiceRocket

Think the coup will fail as now looks it's a small clique of the military doing this & probably just had strategic element of surprise

a l e x

Distinguished Member
We have a place in Turkey and my dad is currently there. Not anywhere near to Ankara or Instanbul but I heard from him earlier and all airports are closed and tanks on the streets. Doesn't sound too good really...

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Seems high ranking members of the milatry have been taken hostage , members of public on the street fired upon by milatry trying to cross the Bosphorus. This is 70s 80s Turkey again and very worrying for the whole region.

pandemic

Looks like the coup is pretty much over, Erdogan is landing in Istanbul. However, still ongoing crap in Ankara.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Continued reports of explosions although unconfirmed. Looking to be another night of a lot of bloodshed :(

outoftheknow

News here in Oz reporting it is 'definitely' under control - the police have apparently taken on the military to take back control.

No doubt it hasn't exactly ended but the government claim to be back in control.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Turkey continues to exhibt a dodgy culture and behaviour but enjoys a disproportionate level of acceptpance because of their geographical position. They are a member of NATO (so was this a NATO coup :)) and there are suggestions of preferential EU membership or benefits - and this is mostly down to the border they share with the Arab world (Iraq, Iran, Syria).

So the Western World seems to be happy to turn a blind eye to Turkey's dubious history and culture because of its strategic geographic position.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett