attack on pc

dennis

Novice Member
:lease: can anyone tell me why since yesterday i have had 8 of these on my pc?

Intrusion.Win.Messenger.exploit Attack

they were all stopped by my antivirus but iv'e never had them before?,not been looking at any*naughty* sites so whats up?

dennis

Novice Member
thanks,i will do that,so you think it;s spyware?or just a new form of virus,i just havent heard of it before.

GalacticaActual

Distinguished Member
dennis said:
thanks,i will do that,so you think it;s spyware?or just a new form of virus,i just havent heard of it before.

Well if you have An anti virus program, you should be able to actually run it a do a scan for anything that is not suppposed to be there. If you have a problem after that then Ad-aware or spybot should do the Job. The trick is to make sure that all of your security programes are updated on a regular basis.:)

Also it might be an idear to use a more secure web browser such as firefox rather than the standard windows internet explorer

Seth Gecko

retired member
I think you'll find it's not a virus or spyware - it's a hacking attempt based around an exploit in the Windows Messenger program (I think you'll find it's the one built into XP rather than MSN Messenger 7). I could be wrong, but I know that there was at least one exploit in this particular component of XP.

There would normally be an update for it via the Microsoft Windows Update system - one assumes you haven't updated XP ?

dennis

Novice Member
yup thats the one,i have updated my windows security,lets hope it does it,thanks all.:smashin:

Mylo

Novice Member
I actually turned off the windows messenger component to stop this. That and the anti spy programmes appear to work very well.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom