Attaching projector screen to the ceiling?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Vila, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Yesterday I bought a Panasonic PTAE700 projector, I now need to get a projector screen for it and am thinking of buying one from DRH or drapa - (not sure If the slim line 77" DRH screen at £130 is good enough or if you need to hi power fabric?)

Now these screen have brackets that can attach to the ceiling which is what I would want the screen to do so I can pull it down in front of my main window (I cant attach it to the wall as the blinds are allready drilled into the wall)

Basically Im a bit scared of drilling holes in the ceiling and trying to hang a screen from it - I not really sure how to do it - i mean ceiling are weaker than walls... do i use raw plugs orisnt it just going to fall down on my head? :confused:

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    if you are going to screw it into the ceiling you will need to screw it into a ceiling beam (supports the floor of the floor above normally). Otherwise it will just be plaster and most probably come down in a day or so in a nasty mess! :p
    The alternative is the wall brackets that take the screen about 25cm away from the wall. That should overhang anything in the way (for example I got the bracket to get over the fireplace in the way).
    I have just bought a DRH 203cm wide screen (the 16x9 slimline one) and it should be absolutely fine for the AE700 projector. The screen arrived today (1day delivery time) and my AE700 should be arriving in a week or so.
    Chris

3. Gerard Fernand

Gerard Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    If the joists are running perpendicular to your screen and are not spaced to line up with the ends of the housing, fix a wooden batton (15mm thk should do) to the underside of the ceiling. The batton should be secured to all the joists it crosses and extend to at least the closest joist past the housing at both sides. If its a bay window it may look better if it extends from one side of the bay to the other. The batton can be painted to suit the ceiling or screen housing as necessary. The screen would then be fixed to the batton.