1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

attaching a headphone amp

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by monkeyboy69, Mar 9, 2005.

1. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just wanted to run this past anyone on here. I'm trying to connect a headphone amp to an AV8 , now before anyone says do it direct from source I have multiple potential sources so thought I'd route it via the AV8
    Could I just connect the amp to the zone 2 output and does this interfere with any of the surround channels if they are all used up from zone 1.

Also is there a quick way of selecting input source to zone 2 or do I have to go through the onscreen menu and reselect when going between sources

many thanks

2. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You mean to say our internal headphone output isn't good enough for you? ;)
    Seriously though, I can't see a problem using zone2 as you've described. Just remember that the zone2 path only has access to the analogue inputs on the AV8. You can't use the internal DACs for any zone2 stuff (i.e. from a digital input). Zone2 is competely separate from zone1 so don't worry if you already have a full 7.1 speaker setup.

Zone1 and Zone2 also have their own independent volume controls. You just have to remember to mute zone1 manually.

A quick way of setting an input source to zone2 would be to set "zone2 follow zone1" in the menus somewhere. Don't have one to hand to have a look where it is. Then you can use the front panel to select the source as normal. (This is assuming you don't want to use zone1 for something different at the same time!) Only trickier bit then is zone2 volume. Using the front panel, this can only be done by going through the zone2 menus, although if your headphone amp has its own volume control, you could almost "set and forget" the volume for zone2 in the AV8.

HTH, Mark

3. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hmmm the headphone output is satisfactory but I dont' think it does my senn 650's justice so I'll bung an amp on and if it makes no difference then I'll sell on.

I didn't want to follow zone 1 as the input source as then I wouldn't be able to listen to the radio while some chick flick is playing in the background. So I wanted to select the input source going to zone 2. Guess I'll have to play with the menu on the front display , maybe as the next software update is in progress this could be added , I know long shot but you got to try.

thanks for your help