att.mechanics...the rule of nines?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by reevesy, Apr 26, 2007.

1. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,178
    any mechanics out there?
    basically could anyone go through the 'rule of nines regarding' the adjustments to tappets?
    i've got to check the clearances on a diesel generator,got a rough idea....but keep getting problems a couple of adjustments in.
    can anyone help?
    :confused:
    cheers in advance.

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Is the engine suitable for the clearances to be done using the rule of nine?...not all are (firing order dependant). You may be better adjusting while the valves are on the rock.What engine (code) is it?

3. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,178
    basically mate it's a 4 cylinder beta marine diesel generator...firing order,i'm not sure off the top of my head.
    i'm sure someone told me before it could be done using the rule of nine.....
    ive set the flywheel up to the TC mark...which sets no 1 arm to rocking (no 1 being furthest from the flywheel)....this allows no 8 to be checked etc etc.

....thing is, is that right to get started or does No 1 need to be on the way down and rocking if you see what i mean?...i have to turn it over quite a bit to get No 1 on the way down and rocking so dont know if i'm meant to leave the flywheel on TC and no 1 rocking and get started like that.
    ....which ever way i do it everything seems to go to pot when i get to no 3 rocking and no 6 to be adjusted.....no 6 by this stage is quite a way down.
    i've currently not adjusted anything yet just checking the clearances as part of a maintenance schedule...if in doubt leave it alone school of thought.....think its check clearances every 800 hours so for peace of mind would like to know its ok.
    :confused: