1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

att:demon or nathan-silly

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by garyjack, Oct 19, 2003.

1. garyjack

garyjack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not knowing a great deal about tv's i have after a long search come up with a choice of 2 toshiba tv's
    the older projection (50wt29b) which i was more than happy with until i found out freeview was not recievable in my area this made me rethink as i would be paying for something that i would never use.
    i then read the great threads from demon and nathan about the 51wh36 with active vision. if active vision is as good as it sounds it's the one for me, but is it a noticeable better picture and not just better on 'paper'. if in reality the latter is the case, then i would be getting an inferior set from the 50wt29b as i would have no real connection on the back of the set plus a lower sound out put with no real choice of audio signalling.
    it would seem to me it's no more than a stripped out 50wh29b especially when you look at the weight difference it's also £200 cheaper. Strange that's it's a newer and bigger set and it's cheaper!!!!
    so that's the delimma i have. anything to say that may help me decide out of these two models would be great as a good picture is more important to me than sound.
    as the 51wh36 is cheaper than the older set i have decided to buy a 'home cinema' an entry level one by the looks of it is toshiba sd43hk it's only £218 from unbeatable all in. so i havent lost anything between the 2 prices. ive read reviews saying the sub woofer is a bit low in sound does any one have a view on this is it any good? septembers what hi-fi wasnt too good a review.
    i also have a problem with all the usual boxes underneath so i am looking at buying a cabinet and it's only £60 at unbeatable but i cannot find out how high it is and if it will make it look too tall!!
    it looked tall enough without the cabinet on demon's pictures.
    also 'logo burn' a phrase i had never heard of 3 weeks ago! oh my god how do broadcasters get away with this vandalism bad enough on a relatively cheap projection, but on a 50inch plasma that doesn't bear thinking about.
    How likely is it that the 2 sets that i have been talking about will get it? has the 51wh36 any innovation to combat 'screen burn' over the older 50wt29b as this would be a deciding factor.
    ive been reading about 'pixel orbiting' although i cant see how moving a block logo would help as the centre would always be covering the same area! but hey ho better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!!
    any help from any one would be greatly appreciated as i will be ordering in the next few days
    from garyjack a new member and a very confused one at that!!!!

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Sorry to tell you nathan-silly has gone.:(

3. raymen

raymen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Can i ask what you mean by that.

Is he off the forum.

Mvrg,
    Raymen

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    He has been banned.

5. raymen

raymen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OOhh oke.

Thanx for the information,can i ask why...

Mvrg,
    Raymen

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I'm quite sure people will have different perceptions as to why he was banned. I don't think it will serve any purpose to discuss the reasons in an open forum. :)

7. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    damn.. Nathan missing... that's a shame.. he always seems to reasonable to me..

as for GaryJack

well.. to sum up an answer, my sister has just sold her 50wt29 after she saw my 51wh36..(Strange family, me, my brother, and in a few weeks, my sister, will all have 51wh36's...) purely on the fact that she thinks the picture is much better...

The 51wh36 is a Toshiba's latest chassis design (i.e. signal conditioning/processing etc).. where as the 50wt29 is the same 2 year old design thats been used on many TV's already, and is at the end of its product cycle..

Having had the 50wh18b (identical to 50wt29, just without IDTV) and now having the 51wh36P, I can reassure you that the 51wh36 is 'better' quality, in terms of cabinet materials and picture performance..
    The active vision is good, it has prog scan (PAL + NTSC) and all the extra gubbins, like Black Stretch, etc..

Just to address some concerns
    1. Weight - the 51wh36 is lighter simply because it uses a much much nicer plastic moulded upper rear section, that looks good, and saves masses on weight, and does make the set look much less imposing. the mechanics/panels are all the usual Toshiba fare, same tubes, optics.
    2. Lower sound output - Well as discussed many times, the 50wt29b sound is very poor in comparison to many all-in one systems, and does not support DTS and Dolby Prologic II, which are worth having, plus having the left/right so close(in the set) and no dedicated centre is also very poor.. Toshiba have done the right thing in leaving it Nicam only (sounds very good in Nicam, loads of bass, volume) this means you can get a proper sound system.
    3. Extra boxes - well yes, you would, but then you need a DVD player, so this is one extra box.. so surely some rack/storage space is needed, and an allinone DVD/Surround is a one box solution..
    4. IDTV - the 50wt29 has integrated digital terrestrial , but arguably SKY offers better value for money, and with things like SKY+.. (I have this).. there is no comparison, and since my sister had the 50wt29, she will also tell you that its poor value for money, and she bought SKY+ as well, and the picture is noticeably better from this.
    5. The cabinet.. - well I prefer mine not on the cabinet, and I have a Hifi Rack to one side, this looks nicer IMHO, and you are right, its just too tall on its cabinet..

Logo Burn is a pain, and there is nothing that can be done, other then remove the logos!!!..
    But, having set the 51wh36 up using Avia, I've found that I can have the contrast much lower then I previously could on my 50wh18b (same as 50wt29b - minus IDTV).. so I think that this will extend the tubes life, and reduce Logo burn...

My honest opinion is that the 51wh36 is a much better picture, its hard to quantify unless you see these things side by side..

As always thats only my opinion, the new set is far more revealing, and can take a little getting used to, but now its setup, DVD's look even more stunning they did on my old set, which I thought was good at the time!..

8. garyjack

garyjack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks demon for your reply, all that you said has really helped me decide. iv'e now read most of your threads and what you don't know probaly ain't worth knowing!!!!!!
    going off now to order my 51wh36....
    ta garyjack