1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATRAC3plus questions

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by henofdoom, Aug 31, 2005.

1. henofdoom

henofdoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seeing as ATRAC3plus is supposed to be the definitive in file compression technology (if u believe those Sony pikies) how come a 128kbps file in MP3 format is smaller in size than a 128kbps ATRAC3plus file?

I noticed this with the Chemical Brothers Close Your Eyes, the mp3 version is about 300k smaller. Why?

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunno ... but ATRAC3Plus at 64kbps is meant to SOUND (and does to me, incidentally) as good as MP3 128 kbps. Which means you can have MP3 128 sound quality in a much smaller file size - and with gapless playback!

3. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    henofdoom, don't believe everything Sony tells you :)

ATRAC3plus@64kbps doesn't sound as good as MP3@128kbps to me.

Andrew

4. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the past I had cheap headphones so I couldnt hear the difference, then i got a cheap Hi-MD, so I use 64kbs on everything to get a lot. Anyways, I guess it depends on what kind of headphones you have , and if you can hear a difference(some people can some people cant). For some test results, (and an interesting read) go to
    http://www.sony.net/Products/ATRAC3/tech/lab/
    I cant remember if sony funded the tests or now, but they seem like good results. Either way, its a good read.

-Sulk

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Sulk (and extremelydodgy's comments from another post buried away in this forum). It's all about your cans - or speakers, if using line out. Headphones, as dodgy put it, are the main point of presentation for a player. If they're good, they'll expose weaknesses in the player itself and the bitrate used for tracks. If they're cack (my Sony MDR-J20s probably are, but sound fab to me), then you'll notice less 'flaws'.

My home hifi is total b*****ks, too: entry-level Technics set-up. But line out from the HD5 sounds great (again, to me ...)