1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATRAC3+ sampling rate

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by bilbo7895, Oct 3, 2005.

1. bilbo7895

bilbo7895

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    being just experienced with the mp3 format and a proud new owner of the NW-hD5 from Sony I am struggling with the ATRAC3+ format.
    Browsing the NET there seems to be a general consensus that ATRAC3+ is superior to MP3 and yields equal quality with lower sampling rates.

I am a person that is not a 100% audiophile but also does not like to compromise quality big time (at home I have a harman sourround system + elac speakers). I need a conversion bitrate that gives you a good sound with earphones as well as with the line in in the stereo and the car (BMW with professional audio system that comes with a line in for MP3 now).

Is a 128 ATRC3+ bitrate sufficient, is the newly available 160 a ggod compromise, how far are both off from 256???

Thanks for any input.

:lease:

2. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    A very subjective matter. What sounds good for me, may not sound so good for you.

The solution:

1) Pick your favourite tune from a CD
    2) Rip it at different rates
    3) listen to each on your player
    4) Decide which you like best

That's about the best anybody can advise without just telling you what sounds good to them.

3. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For starters, the only Atrac3+ bitrates that the HD5 will read are 48, 64, 192, and 256.

My suggestion is to rip some different songs at 64 and 192, perhaps at 256 if you want to be sure. Then play the same songs at different bitrates over your stereo. (Be sure to include sampel songs from each of your favorite types of music, e.g. if you like metal and classical and folk--some may compress better than others.)

My guess is you really won't notice much difference over headphones, even at 64. Playing thru your stereo, you may notice more differences and so you should compare 192 and 256. Pick whatever sounds good to you!

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Ditto. Nice to see that posted :)

5. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Also worth thinking about how many albums you want on your player -

Higer bit rate means less tracks and vice versa

6. Ryzir

Ryzir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    132 also works on the HD5 :D

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Posts #2, #3 & #5 in this thread are certainly the best advice. The trick is balancing quality with quantity ... and there's no easy answers, I'm afraid!

8. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, 132 is only Atrac3 though (not 'plus'). From what I've read, between the 2 choices you might as well go with 64kb Atrac3+.

And Shadow, was post #3 not helpful? (Post #2 only suggested listening through the player, and the OP mentioned he wanted to run it through his stereo as well!)

:hiya:

9. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sincere apologies, dear friend! :) ... let me correct my post accordingly.

There: done!

10. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks. ;) I thought I was being helpful. What if the OP ripped everything at 128 or 160, and then found out his HD5 couldn't play either?? :(