1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATRAC3 or ATRAC3plus

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by sk79, Sep 14, 2005.

1. sk79

sk79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Title says it all - I've been encoding using ATRAC3 @ 132kbps, but have now got the option to encode using ATRAC3plus @ 128kbps. On a 5MB file, ATRAC3plus saves about 250kb and according to Sony...

http://www.sony.net/Products/ATRAC3/tech/atrac3plus/

...is better than ATRAC.

Any audiophiles out there notice any difference in sound quality?

2. Castar

Castar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also like to use 128Atrac3+ on my NW-HD5H but it is not supported :lease: . Any hearable-differences? I think Atrac3 does a very good job on sound quality. Is 128+ notably better?

Thanks

3. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a reason they call it plus.....its supposed to sound better......I think it does...just rip a track at atrac3 66 and atrac3+ 64....you will find 64 sounds heaps better...
    I would use A+ 192 since its compatible and sounds good....or 256...

4. henofdoom

henofdoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ATRAC3plus is identical to ATRAC3 in most respects. Its simply a matter of adding a few more bitrates, namely 48, 64, 128, 192, 256, 320 etc and slapping plus on the end. There is no difference between a 132 atrac3 file and a 128 3plus file except the size... And i wouldn't believe any of that Sony speak, its really not drastically different from mp3 or wma....

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony make a number of claims for their products, many as 'spun' as any other manufacturers' (trust me, I'm in advertising - I 'spin' for a living!). But, as others have observed on here, ATRAC3Plus does a credible job of impersonating MP3 128kbps when you encode at, say 64kbps. I'd say try it out and see what your ears tell you.