1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATRAC3+ in SonicStage?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Pyrobob83, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive my ignorance, if that is indeed what it is, but I can't see the options for ATRAC3+ compression in SonicStage (3.1 or 3.2). Within the advanced transfer settings, I get these options:

[​IMG]

So far everything in my library are MP3s, which makes me wonder if I can only compress to ATRAC3+ from CDs or something equally as awkward. Is there no way to convert my MP3s to ATRAC3+? Of course, this is all assuming ATRAC3+ is even worth considering with 96-256kbps MP3s.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    All those bitrates are Atrac......

Bear in mind this screen is concerned with if your songs are in a format that can't transfer to a Sony player (not compatible e.g WMA, OGG) then what format to convert those files before transfer re-attempt

You need the file conversion manager if you do want to change the format for your collection...

As for whether to make the change...are you happy with the SQ of your MP3s? If yes, why change? Unless you want a lower bitrate to save space

Oh, I'd do one of two things:

a) Keep music as MP3's - future compatibility and Atrac is Sony MP3 players ONLY

b) If you have enough space, I have my music in two formats - Atrac 132 and MP3 320.
    The Atrac is for my PSP, due to limited capacities of MS, and Atrac is meant to sound better than other formats at same bitrate. My MP3 format music is for my 20gb player

3. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Basically I'm only converting my library to put them on my HD5-H. I want them as ATRAC because, like you mentioned, it saves space. I have well over 40GB of music, so rather than being selective in what I carry with me, I though I'd compress them to ATRAC. Once I've converted them and put them on, I'll delete them and use the original MP3s for playback on my PC.

From what I understand, ATRAC3+ has the best bitrate/quality ratio, even over regular ATRAC and ATRAC3. But ATRAC and ATRAC3 are the only options I see (as per my origional post). I'm assuming the 48/64/192/256 options in the image are regular ATRAC.

Am I getting myself mixed up?

4. s-p

s-p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As LFC_SL states, the window displayed only concerns the conversion of files in a format your player cannot play (such as wma). Given that the files are in mp3 format (something the HD5 can play), this advanced option will not come into consideration during transfer.

Should you wish to convert your files to Atrac3+, then you can either do this on the fly (when transfering) or prior to transfer.

Navigate to:
    Tools --> Options --> Transfer --> Transfer Settings (Select HD5 device)

You should be presented with the following screen:

[​IMG]

Here you can specify a format into which you wish to convert your files on transfer (Note: This can only be used if converting to a lower bitrate which you appear to be attempting so shouldn't be a problem). The bitrates specified are either for Atrac3+ unless specified otherwise (Atrac3). So as with the window in the advanced transfer settings, bitrates where no format is specified will be Atrac3+.

5. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks s-p, that answers my question. I did know about forcing conversion, which I've been doing to keep file sizes down, but I was not aware that the bitrates with no specification (ie labeled as ATRAC3) were in fact ATRAC3+. Thanks :thumbsup:

My next question then is this: The music I have on my player now is ATRAC3 105kbps and as far as I'm concerned, the quality is decent. Comparitively speaking, if I were to switch to 64kbps ATRAC3+, will I notice the difference in quality? And/Or is it worth the jump to 192kbps ATRAC3+?

I'm getting ready to initialize my player and convert all my music and just want to get the best quality/size ratio.

6. s-p

s-p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi again,

There are a number of factors that I would consider when determing which bitrate to use:
    • What headphones are you pairing with the device?
    • What source are you converting your music from?
    • Is disk space a premium?

However the most important factor is something I can't help you with, and thats how it sounds to you personally. Take one of your mp3s and run it through the conversion process for a number of bitrates. Bung those onto the player and see how it sounds to you personally. Some people are satisfied with 64kbps whilst others will desire the highest rate possible.

Atrac3+ is definately an improvement over Atrac3, so where possible I would convert your mp3s to Atrac3+. Also remember that you are not restricted to just 64kbps and 192kbps for Atrac3+ as the first image posted would suggest. If you look at the below image, you'll notice there are many more options which may suit your requirements:

[​IMG]

In order to convert to these formats, you will have to carry out the conversion prior to transferring to your player (unfortunately not all bitrates are available for on the fly conversion).

Best of luck, it really is a nightmare on choosing a format. In the end I decided to stick with mp3... :rotfl:. It certainly does drain the battery a bit more and sounds slightly less flat than Atrac3+ (IMO), but in terms of conveniance it was far simpler.

7. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks s-p! That helps a lot. I'll go through and choose an ATRAC3+ quality level I like and then go through and convert everything before transferring. In hindsight, I've read people mention on the fly converting limits your choices, but it never really hit home until you put it so clearly. :thumbsup:

I'll take your advice and pick one song, convert it to a bunch of different bitrates and test it.

I might even pull out my CD collection again so I can go gapless...

Thanks a ton man. :clap:

8. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do I get to view this screen? With my MP3s imported into my library, starting the conversion tool says none of them need to be converted. And the Tools > Convert Format option is greyed out. So I can't find a way to convert my MP3s into ATRAC3+ bitrates that aren't available with on the fly transfer conversions. :confused:

9. blitter

blitter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure that HD5 supports other ATRAC3+ modes other than 48,64,192,256 using the NOT on-the-fly conversion? All people say that with HD5 you are restrictied to the above bitrates. I haven't tried it myself.

10. s-p

s-p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You're absolutely right, how bad is that! Given that I don't personally use Atrac3+ I made the rather stupid assumption that those bitrates would work on the player by default.

Why is never anything easy with Sony and SonicStage?

11. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problems, I'll just use 192 ATRAC3+. Though for a good portion of my MP3 collection, they'll just stay as MP3s (those that are under 192kbps). Thanks all. :thumbsup: