1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atrac or MP3 whats best?????

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Twan1, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi all,

I currently have a 1GB Iriver 599 mp3 player. Had it for just over ayear now and i have to say its very good indeed.

Now think i need to move up to min 3Gig (i.e mini ipod) or maybe even the 20-30Gig new sony HD5.

If sound qulaity is my main concern, which is best, mp3 or atrac? (both would be done at their highest settings)

I know theres a lot of info on the threads but alot compares to size of unit, battery life, looks etc... All i want is the best sound quality on the move.....

Thnaks all

2. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think ATRAC codec is a very fine codec for its usees.
    I have used ATRAC3 for a number of years in its original incarnation of 293KPS then later LP2 (132KPS) and LP4 (66KPS). The latest codec - ATRAC3plus comes in 4 flavours Hi-SP (256KPS), Hi-LP (64KPS) and a 48KPS bitrate. Everything above and incluing 132KPS sounds great and I have yet to hear an MP3 file that betters them. Thats not to say that a particular MP3 encoder can't do better job than I've heard, I just don't rate MP3s that I've heard particularly highly.
    Even the 64KPS atrac3plus codec sounds reasonable for portable use and often use in the car.

3. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Most formats sounds great at a high enough bit rate - certainly much better than you are likely to get from the amp and earphone quality. If you are encoding yourself then just pick the bit rate that corresponds to transparency (i.e. level at which it is generally agreed that it is indistinguishable from the original) - search on google to find this. Personally I use Ogg Vorbis simply as I don't want to find myself tied into specific vendors later (i.e. atrac is broadly sony etc.). This works great at home where we have Linux machines, and I understand it is great on portables as well (iRiver being one multi-codec vendor that do Ogg Vorbis).

Cheers

Greg

4. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    So i take it Atrac3 plus Hi-SP (256KPS) is the latest and 'best' quality setting for this format, out of interest what is a file size approx per song using this?

Must admit dont kno too much about ogg vorbis, but i'll check it out over at uiriver site tho it sounds its not at universal as the others.

Thanks for ur input so far guys

5. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont like atrac, it just doesnt sound right to me, i know its odd but i just cant get used to it, it seems to sounds different than mp3. personally i use mp3 at 320kbps and the quality is top notch, then again i only tend to use that because thats the format my music on my pc is on.