1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

atrac files & vbr bitrates?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Stuart P, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    i'm on the verge of buying a sony NW-HD5. a couple of questions -

1 - i use a 3rd party piece of software to rip my cd's (easy-cda) to mp3 before then transferring to my ipod via i-tunes. with easy-cda i am able to set a vbr rate suited to what i want rather than a fixed 192/256 rate. can this be done with the atrac format?

2 - can i ONLY use the supplied sonicstage software to rip cd's? i have found that with i-tunes, the ripping quality was not as good as with easy-cda. i would prefer to just use sonicstage for transferring files to the NW-HD5 & leave the ripping process to another package

are the above possible?

thanks

stuart

ps i'm right in thinking the NW-HD5 can play both mp3 & atrac?

2. Simebaby

Simebaby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    1) I don't think ATRAC supports VBR - the HD5 will play VBR mp3 files though (it sometimes isn't 100% accurate on the playing time if the track is stopped / skipped during playback though).

2) Yes you can use a 3rd party program - I use 3rd party software to rip my CD's to the hard disk, though I leave them as mp3's rather than converting to ATRAC via SS. I actually use the pocket vaio transfer utility to transfer mp3's (as it supports drag and drop).

Yes, the HD5 does support "native" mp3's - it does however put a OMG "wrapper" round the tracks on the player, so they can't be copied onto another PC using the player as a removable disk. I believe it's possible to register SS with more than one PC to allow this, but I've never tried it.

HTH

Si

3. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172

thanks for the reply - have you tried both atrac3 & mp3? can you tell the difference & which do you mainly use?

4. Simebaby

Simebaby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    NP. I tend to use mp3 as that's what the majority of my ripped CD's use - some are VBR, and some are 192 CBR. I had a few tracks that were 128 wma's, which I converted to 64Kbps ATRAC on transfer, and I can't really tell the difference between the original wma's and the ATRACs, but there might be a slight difference between the ATRAC's and the mp3's (though I've never been that much of an Audiophile, I don't have a problem with the ATRAC SQ to be honest - it sounds fine to me).

One other thing to note as well - the advanced equaliser and presets on the HD5 only work on ATRAC files - for MP3 you're limited to the bass / treble adjustments only (which again isn't a problem for me as it sounds fine, but might put some people off).

HTH

Si

5. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just been testing the atrac vs mp3 thing, all my music is in mp3 at the moment and i never wated to use atrac because its specific to sony and i couldnt be bothered changing all my music! however it does sound a LOT better if you are using a decent set of speakers/headphones. i ripped the same track at 256 atrac and 256 mp3, put em onto my hd3 to test, they sounded the same on the headphones i have (the regular supplied ones) but when i hooked it up to my pc speakers which are actualy quite good the difference is a LOT more clear. it sounds great even as good as the 360 mp3s i ahve on my hd3 now! im going to have to do a lot of file swapping now though, ohh and get some better headphones!

6. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    i've just a pair of etymotic 6i's for my ipod (soon to be NW-HD5 i hope :thumbsup: )

truly great earbuds. have used sony ex70 / ex71, shure e2c's & now these & the etymotic's imo win.

my ex70/ex71 both packed up in one side & the shure are just too fiddly to use daily

stuart

7. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I converted my mp3 192kbs to attrac 132kbs, and I'm not sure that I can here any difference. The bonus of course is the attrac takes up a lot less space.

Ken