Atomic Sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by andy21, May 6, 2001.

1. andy21

andy21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi problems with atomic sub connected to denon 3801. When i turn off it makes an almighty thud. Tried previous sugestions of turning volume on 3801 down but still does it. Only seems to do it when the sub has been used to produce sound. If i plug in and dont use then power off it is ok(i think) any ideas anyone

2. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mine does this as well ( Eltax Atomic 8: free with my TV! ). It also picks up the washing machine, tumble dryer and central heating switching on and off.

My guess is that the power supply has got no mains filtering and a big capacitor. Unlike any half decent amplifier there is no relay between the speaker and the amplifier to disconnect the speaker during power-up and power-down ( you should notice your amp 'clicking' on shortly after power-up ). This means that any spike on the input ( caused by switching off ) is amplified ( the amp is still powered by the capacitor ) and sent to the speaker....

The only way to fix this is, I'm afraid, to get a better sub?

Simon