• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Atoll Electronique Preamplifier PR100se Volume control issue

hififlame4ever

Standard Member
IMG-20190321-WA0008.jpeg
IMG_20190321_170633.jpg
IMG_20190321_170650.jpg
Hello FMs I've attached pics directly to this thread of my Atoll Electronique PR100SE Preamplifier's volume control. The issue that has been going on for quite a few months now is that while rotating the control dial between level 1 and 2 there is a scratching sound emanating from the left channel. Sometimes the left channel goes dead for a few seconds between level 1 and 2 and then on tapping the dial it comes back to life. To be honest, I have slept over this issue hoping that it'd go away on its own but unfortunately it hasn't! So I resorted to switching off the amp fully and while it is off, vigorously rotating the dial backwards and forwards from level 1 to 10 around 5-10 times then turning the amp on and it seemed to take care of the issue but only temporarily. A few people advised me to remove the volume dial, get 2-3 drops of 'machine oil' into the ALPS volume potentiometer spindle and then refix the dial and that would take care of the scratchy noise problem. I have never done anything like this ever before so I am extremely wary of attempting this intervention for fear of inadvertently damaging my pre amp. Would greatly appreciate if FMs could advise what to do to solve this irksome volume control issue.

IMG_20190321_170500.jpg

larkone

Distinguished Member
A good spray with switch cleaner should sort it.

hififlame4ever

Standard Member
A good spray with switch cleaner should sort it.

We do not get any good spray / electronic contact cleaner here in India. Most of the stuff is fake and of dubious quality hence the conundrum. Unable to buy from abroad online as they invariably get confiscated by indian customs.
Assuming I get hold of a quality (imported branded) electronic contact cleaner, can you kindly advise a total noob like me how this cleaning is to be done in a step by step guide.

larkone

Distinguished Member
Google is your friend

hififlame4ever

Standard Member
Google is your friend
not always.. thats why great forums exist
got lucky yesterday hence sharing what I discovered on amazon.in came across quite a few electronic contact cleaner sprays but this one seems to be universally famous for scratchy volume pots etc.. "CRC 5103 Quick Dry Electronic cleaner" so have placed an order for that.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom