1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atmospheric Phenomena

Discussion in 'Past Entries' started by Pirate!!, Jul 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    This photo was taken in April 2005 whilst whale and dolphin watching off St. Lucia. What you are looking at is the sun in the centre surrounded by pitch black sky with a circular rainbow on the outer rim. Outside of the rainbow (not captured in the picture) is perfect blue sky.

Pointing the camera directly at the sun without some sort of filtration was a clear 'no no', so the only filter I had was my sunglasses. Placing the camera behind the sunnies, I pointed to the sky and managed to capture this shot. The whole thing was surreal . . and so vast. Apparently this phenomenon lasted 2 days! I think it may be some sort of atmospheric layer inversion.

I figured this might be covered by the strange theme. The image has been slightly cropped, but no other enhancements made. Taken with Panasonic FZ3, this was 'on the fly' lying on my back on the boat's deck.

I appreciate this is not a 'quality' shot, and I doubt I'll ever see the likes again. The speckles in the middle I assume is water spray on the shades. :)