ATMOS vs DD +Neural X???

Truthstar9

Novice Member
Hi All,

Need some input on ATMOS vs Neural X please. Which is better from your perspectives because I'm starting to favor Neural.

I've recently installed two ceiling speakers and not much content seems to be utilizing them even on ATMOS movies. Content was so spare I started to question the cost to performance improvement. I normally run sound level around 70-73.
Been playing with different settings, to get the most out of the ceilings and Neural X seems to offer the most by far. Overall sound stage is improved also, running sound at 55 now!

Seems either ATMOS is a gimmick or ATMOS content just isn't there yet. Thoughts?

Setup: 5.1.2

Denon 4700, Kef Q950s, R2C, 150 Sides, CI160QR ceilings, Hsu 15-MK2

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Both have their places. But if I look at what I’d class as “reference quality” tracks, the majority would be Atmos, mainly due to the amount of Atmos released versus DTSX.

Remember it’s not always about what produces the most overhead action, it is what is the most atmospheric and enveloping.

If you want a list of demo worthy tracks, I’ll try and find an old post that I did, but I can assure you, Atmos certainly isn’t a gimmick…..

Truthstar9

Novice Member
"Dolby Atmos works to create a more enveloping sound effect in your home theatre. For example, instead of having raindrops sounds around the height of your ears with 5.1, with Atmos, you'll hear the rain sound as if it's falling from above. Also, Dolby Atmos introduces new speaker configurations like 5.1."

Hard to hear rain drops when the ceilings aren't utilized.
Maybe the issue is I don't have rear surrounds. Just not impressed w atmos heights.

razy60

Do you have a pc/laptop that you can attach to your amp if you do then get the atmos test from the windows store and run that, it should give what you're expecting.
Assuming you have done the audio setup and have the speakers configured correctly. The only real difference I hear is that with some DTS tracks the centre channel can be a bit quiet.

Truthstar9

Novice Member
Hi Razy, thanks for the advice.

I connected the laptop and played an ATMOS demo from Demolandia. All the speakers are working well. I tested ATMOS vs Neural X, ATMOS has a crisper sound and seems more specific with which speakers to use.

So all good. So is the problem just a lack of ATMOS content in ATMOS rated movies? Btw, my DVD player is plugged into the DVD HDMI on AV, or should it be in the Blue Ray DVD? AV eARC HDMI to TV.

gibbsy

So all good. So is the problem just a lack of ATMOS content in ATMOS rated movies? Btw, my DVD player is plugged into the DVD HDMI on AV, or should it be in the Blue Ray DVD? AV eARC HDMI to TV.
Doesn't matter what HDMI input you use on the AV amp. The names are only there as an aid but they are all the same and doesn't detract or enhance any input. You can leave the player connected to where it is now.

gibbsy

I only a few DTS:X discs but they are very good. Atmos titles can be hit or miss and it all depends on how the mix is produced. As far as the upmixing modes of Neural:X and Dolby Surround then it's Neural that takes the plaudits especially if playing a disc with DTS-HD MA.

gibbsy

Live with it for a while and then turn off the Atmos speakers. Guarantee you'll miss them.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Put on a quiet place. The ultimate in sound mixes.

Off the top of my head other superb Atmos mixes:

batman v superman
Man of Steel
Deepwater horizon
Fury
Ready player one
Kong
Doctor sleep
Sicario
BR2049
Pacific Rim
Everest
Midway

Last edited:

Truthstar9

Novice Member
Put on a quiet place. The ultimate in sound mixes.

Off the top of my head other superb Atmos mixes:

batman v superman
Man of Steel
Deepwater horizon
Fury
Ready player one
Kong
Doctor sleep
Sicario
BR2049
Pacific Rim
Everest
Midway

There's a warm feeling in my heart knowing I spent 1G, cut dry wall, played with fibreglass insulation, crawled in spider/mouse poops, cabling efforts etc and the end result is 19 odd movies that may utilize the added speakers to potential. Yay.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
There's a warm feeling in my heart knowing I spent 1G, cut dry wall, played with fibreglass insulation, crawled in spider/mouse poops, cabling efforts etc and the end result is 19 odd movies that may utilize the added speakers to potential. Yay.
These were off the top of my head.

Atmos isn’t just about the use of overheads, this is where people go wrong thinking they need to hear things coming from their ceiling speakers throughout a film. Atmos is about creating a 360 degree sound bubble, which is can do very well.

Test the live aid scene in bohemian rhapsody, first listen in the dts track, then try again with the Atmos track. The difference is huge, the whole soundstage opens up, to the point the dts track makes your system sound broken in comparison. Yet, there is very little action above you in this mix.

If you can’t tell the difference, I’d question how well setup your system is.

Last edited:

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I've had an Atmos capable receiver and overhead speakers for a while now and can say categorically that Atmos isn't a gimmick or overrated.

Don't forget that quite often it'll be used subtly to open up the soundstage... though there are some "Atmos moments" that will blow you away:

Here's a couple of threads worth having a read through:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Some Atmos can be a bit underwhelming tbh but I think that’s down to the film and not the format.

e.g it’s an artistic decision.

the upmixing obviously deviates from creator intent.

avanzato

Sums up my experience. I use the upmixer a lot but movies underwhelm.

Main Source

Novice Member
Technically Kef ci160QRs aren't ATMOS speakers.
any speaker that you have assigned to atmos in the avr settings is an atmos speaker, i use in ceilings now but a couple years ago i had small bookshelf speakers(martin logan motion 2i's) mounted on the ceiling facing downward, they worked great, and while assigned to atmos, they were atmos speakers

Main Source

Novice Member
sometimes a 4k blu ray physical version will have better atmos implementation than a digital version ,also ive found that even though my x box one x will use atmos in netflix, hulu etc..., the atmos sounds much better when i use the apple tv 4k, especially on disney plus. but the nature of the beast is that many movies simply werent coded optimally for atmos and leave alot on the table, its a shame really, and neural x with its aggresive algorythm sometimes does feel more immersive, things will get better with earc and other tech so at least you have laid the foundation and will be ready when better content arrives. My 2nd atmos setup is connected to my pc's geforce 3090 and I game in atmos as well, with a 7.2.2 setup, if i didnt own a house on property i would be getting yelled at by neighbors constantly, it freakin thumps! especially rocket launchers in cod zombies! also many games support atmos but neural x can be used if not

Mr Wolf

"Dolby Atmos works to create a more enveloping sound effect in your home theatre. For example, instead of having raindrops sounds around the height of your ears with 5.1, with Atmos, you'll hear the rain sound as if it's falling from above. Also, Dolby Atmos introduces new speaker configurations like 5.1."
I saw that article too and never really understood why they used rainfall as an example of great Atmos effect given that its sound comes from water hitting the ground which is below ear level! It would actually be far more realistic coming out of the non-Atmos channels.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I saw that article too and never really understood why they used rainfall as an example of great Atmos effect given that its sound comes from water hitting the ground which is below ear level! It would actually be far more realistic coming out of the non-Atmos channels.

Agreed that if it's raining in an open space you wouldn't hear the sound from above, but it's really effective if there's anything around that rain would bounce off - low buildings, umbrellas (really effective!), car roofs, etc.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021