Atmos Upgrade and Current Speakers

nekromantik

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello
I currently have some Dali Zensor Pico bookshelfs for my front and rear speakers. I chosen these as they smaller and my room size is 12x11 so not huge.
However I now want to upgrade to 5.1.2 and looking at up-firing speakers for Atmos to place on the fronts however all of the Atmos speakers are wider then the Zensor Picos. Anyone think it should be fine if it sticks out a bit on the sides or do I really need to upgrade fronts and/or rears and then add Atmos on top?

Have a good Christmas and New Years!

Thanks

Last edited:
Upfiring Atmos speakers need to be placed on top of, or as near as possible, to the front left and right. You could put them as close to the fronts but as long as the Atmos speakers stay safely on top of the fronts they should be fine.

What amp are you running?

Upfiring Atmos speakers need to be placed on top of, or as near as possible, to the front left and right. You could put them as close to the fronts but as long as the Atmos speakers stay safely on top of the fronts they should be fine.

What amp are you running?
Yeah plan is to add them ontop of the front speakers but my question was around the current speakers being less wide then any of the atmos speakers you can buy so asking if placing them ontop of smaller speakers is bad idea and I need to upgrade fronts or fronts and rears?

Im running RXV685 from Yamaha

Yeah plan is to add them ontop of the front speakers but my question was around the current speakers being less wide then any of the atmos speakers you can buy so asking if placing them ontop of smaller speakers is bad idea and I need to upgrade fronts or fronts and rears?

Im running RXV685 from Yamaha
It's not a bad idea if they can be safely placed on top of those speakers and in doing so the Atmos speakers will work as intended. If you wanted to get larger speakers then you only need to upgrade the fronts as the Yamaha is a seven channel amp and will only accommodate a 5.1.2 layout.

It's not a bad idea if they can be safely placed on top of those speakers and in doing so the Atmos speakers will work as intended. If you wanted to get larger speakers then you only need to upgrade the fronts as the Yamaha is a seven channel amp and will only accommodate a 5.1.2 layout.
Thanks
I will be getting new AVR which can go up to 7.1.2 once I upgrade my TV with HDMI2.1 144HZ model. But want to avoid new speakers as well apart from the atmos ones haha

If you're going to go for Atmos you really have nothing to lose with the current crop of upfiring speakers as they can be repurposed to fit on the front wall in line with the front left and right. Placed as high as possible the built in angle will direct the audio towards the MLP. Fixing is easy as they come with keyhole fittings in the bottom. That's gives you the choice of two positions to see which one works best in your room.

The on wall solution would certainly take away the need for new fronts, at least for the time being.

If you're going to go for Atmos you really have nothing to lose with the current crop of upfiring speakers as they can be repurposed to fit on the front wall in line with the front left and right. Placed as high as possible the built in angle will direct the audio towards the MLP. Fixing is easy as they come with keyhole fittings in the bottom. That's gives you the choice of two positions to see which one works best in your room.

The on wall solution would certainly take away the need for new fronts, at least for the time being.
Im renting at the moment so cant hang them on the wall sadly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom