Question Atmos upfiring speakers

Dasiz

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all.
Small q regarding atmos upfiring speakers...

I cannot have ceiling mounted speakers, not do I want to wall mount a pair of upfiring speakers above my current MA mass speakers

I have a tv stand which is about 50cm or so high and about 140cm wide..
Would it be worth getting a pair of upfiring speakers at that height?
Note my mass speakers are about 1.25m or
So high, they are to the side of the tv

Thanks

hi all.
Small q regarding atmos upfiring speakers...

I cannot have ceiling mounted speakers, not do I want to wall mount a pair of upfiring speakers above my current MA mass speakers

I have a tv stand which is about 50cm or so high and about 140cm wide..
Would it be worth getting a pair of upfiring speakers at that height?
Note my mass speakers are about 1.25m or
So high, they are to the side of the tv

Thanks

I use Atmos upfirers in a relatively small room with good effect (DALI Alteco's) :). Obviously you won't be able to sit them on top of the small satellite speakers but it's not compulsory.

Upfirers from different manufacturers have different angles & the distance you are from them can be a factor as well. My first set of Onkyo upfirers had a very shallow angle, they were higher up & I had to place spacers under the back feet to increase the angle for better effect. You could do the same if required.

They need to be above your main left & right speakers - I think you are asking if they can be lower? They don't have to be on top of them but that is the recommended position.

Placement height
For optimal effect and to minimize direct radiating audio at listener level, place Dolby Atmos enabled speakers at or slightly above the height of your ears when seated. Avoid placing the Dolby Atmos enabled speakers higher than one-half the height of your wall.

If you’re using add-on modules, place them either on top of the front and surround (ideally, rear surround) speakers or within 3 feet (0.9 meter) of those speakers. Place on-wall or in-wall add-on modules in the same position. Dolby Atmos enabled speakers should be mounted so that the driver is facing toward the ceiling.

Placement relative to listeners
To avoid an unwanted proximity effect, make sure the speakers are at least 3 feet (0.9 meter) away from listening positions, ideally 5 feet (1.5 meters) or more. This distance may be less than 5 feet if the upward- firing driver(s) of the Dolby Atmos enabled speaker is placed well above the level of the closest listener’s head.

Thanks guys.
Thought putting them at only about 0.5m high wouldn’t really work. Just wanted to double check

Thanks guys.
Thought putting them at only about 0.5m high wouldn’t really work. Just wanted to double check

I don't think it would prevent them from working, but may mean they work less effectively? The distance from the ceiling would be greater and the angle they are positioned to may result in the reflected audio not being directed to where you'd ordinarilly have ceiling speakers located. This in turn would result in the reflected audio not being reflected to where it was intended? You'd probably have to adjust their angle and the results may sound a little more dispersed than they would have had the modeules been located higher?

I don't think it would prevent them from working, but may mean they work less effectively? The distance from the ceiling would be greater and the angle they are positioned to may result in the reflected audio not being directed to where you'd ordinarilly have ceiling speakers located. This in turn would result in the reflected audio not being reflected to where it was intended? You'd probably have to adjust their angle and the results may sound a little more dispersed than they would have had the modeules been located higher?

This is exactly what I was thinking... to spend a minimum of £250 on speakers for them to be very ineffective due to placement height would be a total waste of money. Shame as I’d like to have given it a go..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom