Atmos Up-firing and B&W 704s Dilemma

swall101

Hi all

Ive just moved into a new property and this has given me an excuse to look at enhancing my set up with Atmos and a new sub.

I currently have B&W 704s (pic attached) which as you can see have a curved top and tweeter embedded. So ceiling mounted atmos at present is out of the equation as do not want wires running on show and don’t really want to start mucking with fabric of the building until I’ve at least been able to close out any snagging points with the builder in 6 months time. With this in mind I have been looking at upward firing atmos speakers which all talk about sitting on top of existing speakers, cue the problem that mine won’t facilitate that.

Is there an issue sitting them on my av unit (where the HTM4S is sat)? This will be just under a third reduction in height from the 704 (66cm unit height v 95cm speaker height). I have regular height ceilings that are completely flat.

The other question if anyone has any experience is suggestions as to what atmos speakers would be good match for my set up (in sig)? Haven’t got as sub at present (used to have M&K MX350 mkII but neighbour issue made me sell). I’m looking at SVS maybe SB3000 or PB3000 at present so not sure if that impacts choice of atmos speaker?

Many thanks in advance and look forward to any thoughts.
A6E74FEF-783F-4745-A6C5-E395F9056D39.jpeg

Conrad

When I wanted to try out atmos I ran a set of Bose micro speakers that I had laying about as upfiring speakers. I couldn't put them on top of my speakers as I have the same issue you do with top mounted tweeters. I set them on the sub that's just inside each of my mains and angled them up.

While I got some effect, I found that I was able to hear that the sounds were coming from the front of the room. This might be because of the very wide dispersion of the Bose, or it might be because they were low, or a combination of things.

I would suggest that you look to see if you can get the speakers high-ish, and play about with the angles. But there's nothing that says they absolutely must sit on top of your speakers. If you have the "bounce" right, they'll sound like they're coming from the ceiling anyway, so I would have thought the placement of the virtual speaker (where the bounce occurs) is more critical.

swall101

Thanks for the reply.... toying with the idea of maybe some short desktop stands to see if that could solve the height issue. Just don’t want them to look naff albeit have seen some quite nice modern looking stands.

I’m just waiting for my AV unit / speakers to come back from being wrapped (excellent cost option to match new decor) so will get a better idea of aesthetic in the flesh so to speak.

Anyone else had a similar situation? Be good to hear your solutions and choice of speakers :smashin:

swall101

@swall101
I might have an idea (DIY) but it would require a bit of clearance under (~1/2 inch) and at the back (~2 inches) of your speakers. :)

Interesting.... I’m all ears!

ddlooping

It's very approximative but I'm sure you'll get the gist ;)
Could be made of wood for example...

swall101.png

Side view & back view

Last edited:

ddlooping

If you don't have any clearance to slide the Atmos pedestals under the B&Ws you could maybe just rest the latter on the former.

swall101

That’s a cracking idea.... thanks so much for taking the time out to illustrate too. I’m not the greatest with DIY but have a couple of friends who love it! Also got me thinking about full size stands which I can get at 1m to simulate your drawing.

That’s my evening taken care of..... stand research! 🧐

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@swall101 you do know that you can hide the wires quite easily with d-line trunking?! That would open up you another option -> front heights. We have got lot of members who has tried upfiring bounce and then got disappointed, they have moved to front wall or side wall height channels (just below ceiling) and these has been clearly favoured more. You can basically buy something like Kef Q50a / Dali Alteco C-1 and mount them flush against wall with couple screws (keyholes at rear), as the speaker is angled then it shoots down toward listeners.

It would look like this:

IMG_6195.JPG.53233b466bf1ef810443618acb94411a.JPG

0bbae698-1c8c-418a-b13a-383bae1e584a-jpeg.1132051

swall101

Thanks for the info.... so they would do the atmos duties as if I had speakers in ceiling or bouncing with up firing? Just trying to understand how the sound works coming from the front rather than middle‘ish between the fronts and surrounds?

The set up is definitely an option as I can hide the wires behind the plasterboard with holes behind speakers and behind AV unit....

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info.... so they would do the atmos duties as if I had speakers in ceiling or bouncing with up firing? Just trying to understand how the sound works coming from the front rather than middle‘ish between the fronts and surrounds?

The set up is definitely an option as I can hide the wires behind the plasterboard with holes behind speakers and behind AV unit....

Yes! I just mention this as not everyone has been as happy cause they thought the ceiling would come alive big time, but it has been more subtle.

SVS Prime Elevation is also option for wall mounting if not too large. In the SVS site they have lots of owners reviews and they are highly praised. Read the below article:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom