Atmos Speakers to work with Mordaunt Short Alumni

butlerpeter

Hi,

I've been running a Mordaunt Short Alumni 5.1 setup for the last few years (well the MS sub died so replaced it with a BK XLS200).

I've just got a Denon AVR-X2700 so now have the ability to add some upfiring Atmos speakers.

We live in a rented house so can't go putting speakers in the ceiling or on the walls. I';ve seen that many of the Atmos speakers available are designed to sit on top of the front speakers.

My Alumni's are mounted on stands and they aren't the largest of speakers so I don't think I could sit much, if anything, on top of them.

I'm not against the idea of replacing the front speakers with some (inexpensive) floor standers and mounting Atmos speakers on top of those. But our living room is only something like 12'x12', so I wouldn't want anything too overpowering.

What are my options?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
You would need to swap the front three, not just main speakers. If you have tight budget something like this:

If more money can be spent Elac would be something to consider. They are not as nice looking, but sound quality wise they are highly praised all over world. Andrew Jones behind them. You would need speaker stands (600mm) too. The Elac atmos upfiring speakers have been very popular, good feedback from those!

Keep in mind you need to meet these requirements for the upfiring speakers:

For optimal performance, the ceiling should be flat (not angled or vaulted), with a height between 7.5 and 14 feet (2.3 to 4.3 meters), and made of an acoustically reflective material (drywall, plaster, hardwood, or another rigid, non---sound-absorbing material).

butlerpeter

You would need to swap the front three, not just main speakers. If you have tight budget something like this:

If more money can be spent Elac would be something to consider. They are not as nice looking, but sound quality wise they are highly praised all over world. Andrew Jones behind them. You would need speaker stands (600mm) too. The Elac atmos upfiring speakers have been very popular, good feedback from those!

Keep in mind you need to meet these requirements for the upfiring speakers:

For optimal performance, the ceiling should be flat (not angled or vaulted), with a height between 7.5 and 14 feet (2.3 to 4.3 meters), and made of an acoustically reflective material (drywall, plaster, hardwood, or another rigid, non---sound-absorbing material).
Thanks for the reply.

Why would I need to change the centre speaker if I change the fronts?

I've actually been contemplating ordering a pair of Q Acoustic 3050 floor standers today. Not pulled the trigger yet though.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply.

Why would I need to change the centre speaker if I change the fronts?

I've actually been contemplating ordering a pair of Q Acoustic 3050 floor standers today. Not pulled the trigger yet though.

You want to keep the front three from same brand/range. Closely tonally matching. If you think the most ideal situation it would be three identical speakers like you see in many real cinemas, that is not often possible at home so mains and center channel from same range. The center channel is one of the most active speaker so even more reason to get a good one!

If you would go with the 3050 then 3090C to partner them. But remember the QA`s have rounded cabinets and there is not one upfiring model that would have similar cabinet, they are all boxy and it might not look as smooth if that matters.

You have small room so you don`t need floorstanders, but they tend to look better. :)

butlerpeter

You want to keep the front three from same brand/range. Closely tonally matching. If you think the most ideal situation it would be three identical speakers like you see in many real cinemas, that is not often possible at home so mains and center channel from same range. The center channel is one of the most active speaker so even more reason to get a good one!

If you would go with the 3050 then 3090C to partner them. But remember the QA`s have rounded cabinets and there is not one upfiring model that would have similar cabinet, they are all boxy and it might not look as smooth if that matters.

You have small room so you don`t need floorstanders, but they tend to look better. :)
Thanks. That makes sense.

Of course I don't need floorstanders - but then I don't need a 65" TV or surround sound at all 😋

I think I will go for the 3050's and a 3090 to go with them. Then I'll revisit Atmos speakers further down the line.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks. That makes sense.

Of course I don't need floorstanders - but then I don't need a 65" TV or surround sound at all 😋

I think I will go for the 3050's and a 3090 to go with them. Then I'll revisit Atmos speakers further down the line.

I assume you have checked the dimensions, they are not small?! :) Keep in mind you need to leave at least 20cm space behind the speakers. Preferably more and the same for side walls.

Keep us posted how it sounds after you have got some time with them.. :smashin:

butlerpeter

I assume you have checked the dimensions, they are not small?! :) Keep in mind you need to leave at least 20cm space behind the speakers. Preferably more and the same for side walls.

Keep us posted how it sounds after you have got some time with them.. :smashin:
Yes I checked the dimensions. The overall footprint isn't much more than my Alumni's on their stands. The same with the height. And, because of the shape of the room, there will be plenty of space behind and beside them.

The centre is a fair bit bigger than my current one but there is room on the shelf for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom