ATMOS speakers position

manuhard

Novice Member
Hi,

I will move to a new appartment, in which I intend to install a new 'small' home theater.
This home theater will include ATMOS ceiling speakers, for a 5.1.2 audio system.
The two speakers are a ELAC Debut IC-DT61-W (ATMOS), the angle is 30 degrees.
Question : I will install them in the ceiling, in the front towards of my seating position, but how many feet forward ?
Considering that the ceiling is about 8.2 feet and the top of my head would be about 3.2 feet from the floor.

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

With the Elac you have two choices. One is to place them in the upfiring position on top of your front speakers. You ceiling meets the height requirement as long as it is made of a reflective material.

Your second choice is to have them on the front wall placed as high as possible and in line with the front left and right speakers. You should not place them on the ceiling as it is too low and they are not designed to work in the configuration.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Dolby claim that the speakers for a .2 should be situated as below, although the front speakers look incorrect based on their recent updated image (fig1) as an older image (fig2) shows them much closer to the smaller inserted image in the bottom right. So, I'd work on the fig2 image as this is what most use

fig1
5.1.2.jpg

fig2
5.1.2-option2.jpg

manuhard

Novice Member
Thank you !

well there is a third choice as well, in ceiling speaker
I don't understand how 8.2 feet is a too low ceiling...
Dolby recommends : 'between 7.5 and 12 feet'

1654356146922.png

Welcome to the Forum.

With the Elac you have two choices. One is to place them in the upfiring position on top of your front speakers. You ceiling meets the height requirement as long as it is made of a reflective material.

Your second choice is to have them on the front wall placed as high as possible and in line with the front left and right speakers. You should not place them on the ceiling as it is too low and they are not designed to work in the configuration.

Last edited:

gibbsy

Sorry my bad. My search showed the Elac upfiring modules. The inceiling is a different kettle of fish. As a rough rule of thumb you should place them in the ceiling roughly above where your knees will be when seated at the main listening position. They should also be in line with the front left and right speakers.

If you have a Denon or Marantz AV amp then configure them as TM (Top Middle) in a 5.1.2.

manuhard

Novice Member
Sorry my bad. My search showed the Elac upfiring modules. The inceiling is a different kettle of fish. As a rough rule of thumb you should place them in the ceiling roughly above where your knees will be when seated at the main listening position. They should also be in line with the front left and right speakers.

If you have a Denon or Marantz AV amp then configure them as TM (Top Middle) in a 5.1.2.

Yeah but the point is that they're angled ceiling speakers, so if I place the speakers like you said one feet where my knees will be seated, the speaker won't be pointed at my head but to the rear of the two armchairs.
To place ceiling ATMOS speakers say one feet in front of you is for non-angled speakers I think.
But what about the placement for a 30 degrees angled speaker ?

Top Middle noted, how did you know i got a Denon AV amp ?

gibbsy

If they are a fixed angle, a don't know about the Elac to be honest, then you can work out the rough angle but I doubt very much it will be such a narrow signal that it will highly restrict placement. If you move them forward towards the TV then your fine adjustments can be made by moving the seating.

Almost every speaker placement in any room other than a dedicated home cinema is finding the right compromise. Yours I would say is perhaps one of the easiest to overcome. A photograph or plan of your room with seating would help here.

Most people seem to own a Denon as it's one of the most popular and reliable brands. I'm an owner myself, always have been.

manuhard

Novice Member
If they are a fixed angle, a don't know about the Elac to be honest, then you can work out the rough angle but I doubt very much it will be such a narrow signal that it will highly restrict placement. If you move them forward towards the TV then your fine adjustments can be made by moving the seating.

Almost every speaker placement in any room other than a dedicated home cinema is finding the right compromise. Yours I would say is perhaps one of the easiest to overcome. A photograph or plan of your room with seating would help here.

Most people seem to own a Denon as it's one of the most popular and reliable brands. I'm an owner myself, always have been.
That's the point : the ceiling speakers will be installed in the false ceiling, and I need to plan the exact positioning in advance.
About the armchairs, their position will be quite fixed, but there is a one or two feet shift possibility.
I send you a plan of the living room. Between the seating position (archairs) and the TV / videoprojector, there will be a 8 to 9.5 feet distance.
The distance between the two armchairs will be about 3 feets.

1654395523913.png

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom